The Colors of Hope

The Colors of Hope

It came to pass in the process of time that Hannah conceived and bore a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, “Because I have asked for him from the Lord.” —1 Samuel 1:20

Hope is a type of kaleidoscope. Through its lens, we can believe the impossible and see what might be. Hope’s hues are rainbow in promise, bringing rays of light into once dark corners. When I think of the colors of hope, I think of Hannah . . .

Hannah was heartsick because she couldn’t have a baby. She stopped eating and cried continually. Yet she never gave up hope. She continued to pray. A priest named Eli observed Hannah at the altar and spoke to her. When she explained her anguish, Eli blessed her and sent her on her way. After that encounter, something shifted inside Hannah.

Someone spun the wheel of her heart, for we are told color returned to her cheeks, she ate, and her face was no longer sad. We don’t know how long it was before Hannah gave birth. Over the years, Hannah must have found the waiting cruel. But after her prayers and her breakthrough moment with Eli, it appears that she was liberated and at peace.

Eventually, Hannah gave birth to the prophet Samuel and a house full of others. She marveled at what God had done. It was as if she were looking through a kaleidoscope. All the things that had seemed so splintered now refracted dazzling light.

—Patsy Clairmont

Excerpted from A Grand New Day © 2008 by Thomas Nelson. Published in Nashville, Tennessee, by Thomas Nelson. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

Talk Back: What color is your hope? Is it dark and hard to see or rainbow bright? What are you hoping for?

Our blog hop is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Comments

misty says

Often when we lose hope and think this is the end, God smiles from above and says, “Relax, sweetheart, it’s just a bend, not the end!

janie says

My hope color with regards to my 32-year old son is almost completely gone. I have prayed, asked God for a miracle in his life (and mine), and “hoped” for many, many years. Lately, I feel like maybe I should just give up on hoping for my son and shut him out of my life for self-preservation. I know when God closes a door he opens a window, but I just can’t see either. There are some sheep that never do return to the flock. Maybe he is one of them. My son (and I) need prayers.

misty says

Always pray. Never give up.
      Then you have God’s kind of love. 1Cor 13:7
      so sorry for your hurt. I prayed for you.

Candace M Williams says

The color of hope for me would be green and blue and brown mixed. The colors most often used by God outside. The soothing color of new growth, the comfort of the sky and water and the good solid brown of wood. I’m reaching out and taking risks these days to cultivate opportunity. God is providing more and more as I sway and skip along the logs like a child dancing down them in the woods during free moments.

Wanda says

My color of hope is a muted teal. The color is muted because I feel that I haven’t lived up to all the potential God has instilled in me. My fault of course for not taking Him at His word and for being fearful. While I haven’t given up hope – (for life is not over until the breath has left my body and even then, there’s eternity with the Lord) but I’m praying for the day when that “color” can become more brazen and I’m doing exactly what I’ve been designed to do and I don’t have to deal with the feelings of being an underachiever.

nancy says

I try to live my life with bright colors and live a positive life even though it is very hard in this world.
    My hope today is that my mother (Marilyn) will spend what time she has left in this world without pain as her cancer has came back and there is no cure to put it back into remission. My mom has been a great role model and a strong Christian women. She,my sisters,niece and daughter were able to attend Women of Faith last year in Philadelphia; it will be memories that we will all charish and I am so thankful that God made it possible for all of us were able to attend. My daughter and I have attended for years in Columbus, OH; and I charish the special time we spent together with the other Women of Faith. Thank you for bringing a bright rainbow into our lifes. I recently read Mrs. Chapman’s book and have shared it with others; it was great to see how God has worked in their life after tragedy. She was a blessing to hear her speak a Women of Faith last year and I pray that she will realise how many people she has touched by sharing her story.

Jean says

I believe that we ( the whole world’s People) need a lot of prayers to continue our life journey with the present state of being. My colors of hope are the basics: White- purity of Gods word, Blue- for baptism/water,Red for the blood Jesus shed for us,Green for renewal/new life,Yellow for joy and brightness,Black for sin,Purple for grace/forgiveness. The Greatest gift is LOVE.

Gail says

Just to let you know God loves you very much.. You were no suprise to him and he has a plan for your life…. that was planned even before you were born….psalm 139… I will be prayiong for you, that God will touch your heart as only he can do…. God Bless

Deborah Beam says

The color of my hope is very bright and colorful and it shines for me to see tomorrow. You see I have brain cancer and sometimes life can get the better of me but I cling to hope and see the possibilities and and difference I can make in the lives of others. I believe hope like love is meant to be shared and then it grows for you as well as well as for someone else.

Debbie says

There have been so many attacks since August of last year that my hope color seems non-existant. I know God is there and is in control, but the blows just keep coming. I have done the Daniel fast and prayed, but I wonder some days if God is listening. I wonder where have I failed so bad that He has forgotten me. I’m sure break through is coming, that is why all the attacks continue.

misty says

God is not finished with you, yet. He is the only One who is faithful. “If we are faithless, He remains faithful because He cannot deny Himself.” (2Tim 2:13)
      Be patient. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.

Sharon Jacobs says

My colors of hope are the ones I see in the blue, green and brown eyes of children..the red headed, tow headed, curly topped, straight black, or bald headed men and women of the world. My colors do run gray sometimes, like the 80 something yr old twin sisters who believe that when people get a hot meal and a smile, they have hope for another day. They are never just black, white, or brown or yellow because God created more than these. Hope springs eternal!

Connie says

I love what you had to say Sharon! Beautiful!
      My thoughts also go to my gal friends who are struggling wondering why God hasn’t blessed them with a child so far. This story of Hannah proves how God brings each person into this world at the time He knows they’re needed. For others who may be in this boat, please try to hold to the promise that your unborn, even yet unconceived, child is a priceless treasure, with a special purpose that only God knows. Don’t give up. In God’s own time, it is possible you will conceive His servant to fulfill that special purpose. ;)

11. Today my color is blue. It’s been an emotionally and physically hard day. I’ve been struggling with CFS for nearly 10 years now. I’ve had good days and bad, the best of which have been the past 5 years. Until a severe relapse this month that has yet again left me unable to function, and be the mom, wife and woman I want to be. Blue for frustration. Blue for sadness. But, also blue for the day that comes new and fresh each morning that God will still be there: there’s always hope, not matter what the color of the day. Thank you, Patsy, for reminding me of this!

edify says

I am very blank, I feel unwanted a feeling I have had since 5 years of age. I guess I was wanted at one time, but not now for sure.

Gail says

Just want to let you know that God loves you so much. He planned for you and has a plan for your life even before you were born….psalm 139…
      I will be praying for you and pray that God would touch your heart as only He can!!!!! God Bless

Wendy says

YOU are loved by Jesus! You are more precious than silver, more costly than gold. YOU are a treasure. Praying for Jesus to show you the endless colors of His Love. May God bless you this day and always!

Tolonda says

Amen to the comment from Gail…God loves us more than we could even imagine. I am so thankful for the blood of Jesus!! I too will be praying for you to see hope and love through the blood of Jesus. Blessings!!

Pat Taylor says

For Edify: You are not unwanted! Whenever a thought like that comes to mind, read one of these Bible truths out loud to replace the false thought: “In love God predestined you to be adopted as his child through Jesus Christ.” (from Ephesians 1) “See what kind of love the Father has given to us that we should be called children of God; and so we are.” (1John 3:1) Jesus Christ says, “I have called you friends… (from John 15:15)

Vickie Emberton says

My color of hope is Purple! As a cancer survivor, I support Relay for Life and as a Christian, I know my biggest supporter is my GOD!

Tanya says

The color of my hope is very similar to Hannah’s. I have been praying for a child a little while and I’m certain of God’s plan for this baby. I know that he or she will come when the Lord is ready. Sometimes hope is more about patience than anything else. God Bless!

15. I’m going with an orchid color. It’s the color of my new website, my new favorite nail polish and it seems more grown up than pink but not as blatantly royal as purple. Kind of where my hope is right now. Not a princess pink or a queen’s royalty but a “lady in waiting” on the Lord.

Pam Guy says

The colors of my HOPE are the colors inside a box of crayons. When I’m joyful and things are going right HOPE is bright like yellow, red, orange, pink, sky blue. When I’m in trials, testing times, or sick they are dark like brown, black , gray. The Colors of my Hope are in the colors of the creator of all colors, JESUS.

evelyn says

My hope, my prayer, is that the Lord sends someone to reach out to my son, a lost sheep. My color of hope is a bright, warm ray of yellow that dispels the darkness of pain, anxiety and anguish. Thank you, Lord, for hearing our prayers and lighting our way with HOPE.

Pat Earnest says

Thanks so much, Patsy. Keep these great messages on hope coming. I sure enjoyed seeing you in Nashville. Never, never give up! I will be attending as many “Over The Top” events as I can this year. See you there!

19. Oh how I long for the color of hope to return to my cheeks… Heartsick is a horrible feeling, but we must remember we are children of a faithful Father, and His timing is perfect.

20. This really hit home with me. Blue, so commonly linked with depression with which I am currently struggling in the midst of chronic illness, is fast becoming my color of hope.

annah says

Blue has been my color of hope for months since I’ve become depressed. My father left my brother and I and comes around on and off and I’ve been so hurt and depressed that I went and almost killed myself. I haven’t felt real hope in a long time.

Patsy says

Today hope seems very dark. Trust has been broken between Christians and the Church. It has devastated our family. Why is it that “Christians” can sometimes be the cruelist of all people?

22. I LOVE the first paragraph! I am feeling that right now. I was just going to be blog about these feelings. You see I am 30 years old with stage 3 breast cancer and I see nothing but beautiful colors around me and yet people wonder how I can smile through this. I smile b/c I believe in GOD and know that whatever is in store for me is his will and that my friends is exciting and will be COLORFUL!

23. My hope is pink and red. It signifies life that will “spring” forth in the coming month and a half. It also symbolizes re-birth in my personal life as I pray that GOD will bring me a Christian man with which to share my life.

Texas Hope says

I want to tell you a story…I was divorced and a single mom for many years, watched lots of friends meet and marry. I would go to church on Sunday and see all the couples sitting together and wish and pray for a husband that would attend church with me. When I was 55, not looking for a relationship, I met the son of a friend at her funeral. He was a preacher. It was love at first sight. But I still didn’t have anyone to sit with in church! We laughed about that for years. God does have a sense of humor. My darling is singing with the angels now.

Patti says

My hope is dark and hard to read at this time in my life. Need your prayers.

Karen Garner says

I feel like Sarah…. I have been “hoping” for a second child for almost 8 years, am turning 42 in May and feel as though I am out of time. I’ve been through 5 miscarriages and wonder now if my dream came true that it would end in dispair. Not sure if it’s time to let go. Felt all along God nudging me to hang on but the risks seem to shadow my hope.

Jodi says

I have been right where you are now. Keep trusting God for His VERY BEST plan…whether that is another baby or even not another baby. I know that is hard to hear. Sometimes God is protecting us from a more difficult road than the one that we are on now. All I know is… He loves you. Trust that he does!

Alyssa Mayer says

Today, my “hope” color is pink; like the carnation pink hue of the cover of my Bible. It is what reminds me, on a dialy basis, that I do not have to run the show today. God’s gives us a road map for life and motivation of deed through His words. It is where my hope and faith bring me!

27. What is the finest way to find one’s inner feelings to joy?

28. Today my hope in the Lord Jesus and the color purple, my Choke-Cherry tree and spring that is surely coming.

to read more:
    rbriddle-blog.blogspot.com

29. I would have linked up this post because it showed tremendous lived out hope in a trying Scripture verse. Sacrifice can really bring out the flourishing and goodness of God’s creation in life.