Belonging

Belonging

“I will take you as my people and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God…” Exodus 6:7

As a child with seven older siblings, we only had bare essentials in our tiny house. My cousins, though, had everything . . . beds, rooms, TV, candy on demand, and space. Something about their house gave me a longing. On more than one occasion, I begged to spend the night with them. Inevitably I couldn’t make it through the night. My uncle would have to take me home. “I can’t stay here,” I would cry. “I need people who belong to me.” So home I went to crawl into a bed full of sisters.

There’s nothing quite like having your own people. People who know and understand you, care about what concerns you, understand you idiosyncrasies. It’s much better than “stuff.”

But that’s nothing compared to having our own God. Belonging to him is liberating. It sets us free and satisfies our longings.

—Mary Graham

Excerpted from Women of Faith® Devotional Bible copyright ©2003 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Published in Nashville, Tennessee by Thomas Nelson. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

How does it make you feel to know you “belong to God”?

Comments

R. Gilkey says

There is no greater love than the love God has for His children and I thank my God that He considers me one of His. There is no-one else that accepts us, with all our faults, is willing to forgive us if we ask and truly believe in Him, and loves us as only our heavenly Father will do.

2. Knowing that I belong to GOD makes me feel accepted, loved and protected!!

Rancia says

Alleluhuia!

Yiangshi says

Sometimes it seems there is no place to fit in, too many clicks or groupies and everyone already belonging to everyone else and it feels like you on the outside of the inner circle looking in and wishing you were there with everyone else. But thank God that He has not left anyone else, His arms are OPEN WIDE and His CLICK is FREE for ALL to enter…He will never leave me on the outside…He has brought me into His inner and most secret place, to the place where He is…Thank You Lord, with you I BELONG!

Joanne says

thanks so much for sharing….it’s great to know one is not alone. I am just figuring out it is a daily (sometimes more), grounding of who I am-a child of God
    . I thought once I accepted Christ, it would be like a magic wand waved over me. Apparently, life is messy and we still have to live it out this side of heaven. Thank God we have Jesus Christ to strenthen us!

Brenda says

safe, and accepted in the beloved.

Brenda says

i love how you put it living out this side of Heaven that is a wonderful phrase!

Julie Peebles says

5 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My surgeon called me in his office on a Thursday and said he wanted to do the surgery the next morning. I told him I couldn’t because I had to let “my people” know. I had people I wanted to pray for me. Yesterday our minister talked about Jesus being our kinsman redeemer. I am glad to have Him as my Kinsman redeemer. PRAISE GOD!

7. No words can describe the joy, wonder and gratitude I feel to KNOW I belong to Poppa God-anyone care to dance???:)Even in the howling rain of a hurricane…one can dance secure in His Grace GRIP!

Jen says

In a world where our “stuff” can become so important to us, I can only imagine what God’s “stuff” or belongings mean to Him. Even my most valuable posession can never compare to the value that He has placed on me. I am the “apple of His eye”. I was knit together by the creator of the universe! He died for me to be saved and set free. I am a daughter of royalty! Selah….

9. I love knowing that I belong to God. And more than just belonging to God I love knowing that I am his daughter.
    “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
    And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.” Romans 16-17 KJV

ReNae says

Sometimes I wish what our purpose is,..I hope to live the life that he wanted for me. Through his eyes.
    I wish there was more of a sign to let us know that we are where he wants us to be.
    I feel at times that I am letting him down and myself..
    I am glad that he is our father. Just want to live through his grace.

Dawn says

I feel like RaNae. Maybe if I had grown up knowing God and his love, it would be a little easier, “that faith and belief that children experience”. It would be so wonderful to say, “that love is all I know”.

11. i love being with my peeps. we don’t have to have any occasion other then just being together. it completes me.
    I thank God that he Grafted me into his vine and allowed me to be part of his family.

12. Knowing I belong to God makes me feel secure. My parents divorced the day before my 4th birthday in 1972. I remember not feeling like I belonged anywhere all of a sudden. My mother (who was from Glasgow Scotland)wanted a better life and dressed me in sweet little dresses and black Mary Janes. On my dads side of the family were a rowdy bunch of hard working, beer drinking, good old bunch of folk. I would go from one world to another just trying to fit in. I would arrive in my spoiled child clothes and be shunned only to return home in regular kid clothes to hear comments that left me knowing my mother was not pleased.
    This left me always trying to please everyone and not knowing who I was. Once I accepted Jesus that didn’t change right away. I then began to live my life trying to please HIM. It wasn’t until a few years ago when I switched churches that I started to learn what it meant to believe that Jesus loved me, and that I belonged to HIM. I have done crazy things like set boundaries, let go of all ideals I once had, and am free. Know I am learning to find out who I am in Christ, and how to keep my focus on him. Not always an easy task. However He reminds me that I belong to him and that gives me the security and freedom to become all that he designed me to be.

Penny says

Hi Kim:

I know exactly what you’re talking about … going from mom’s house to dad’s house can be a tough transition of trying to “fit in” and please everyone.

Thankfully, God has taught us that we don’t have to please man … just be who HE created us to be. I am forever grateful for his continuous reassurances that I belong to HIM!