Branded

Have you ever been ‘branded’ by another person?

Have you ever carelessly branded someone else with a label they didn’t deserve?

Lisa Harper shares a story from her own life that reminds us how much what we say about others matters.

Click the play button below (far right) to find out what Lisa says we really want in this audio message:

Comments

Marge says

Just like lisa, my parents divorced at age six but my father got custody of us 3 girls. I went to a chirstian school and my teacher told my classmates that since I didn’t have a mom in our home now, I would never amount to much! through gods grace, I did survive.

Judyb says

I think Lisa’s comment about the women’s choice in clothing was sort of out of place for someone who is trying to teach others to be kind.

• I laughed at the comment about the mothers attire, it painted a picture for me of what the woman looked like, not just clothing but her heart. I have looked like that woman myself and hope through the grace of God I am a kinder, gentler & more compassionate person.

• I agree 1000% Lisa is out of line when discribing her friends mother in a negative tone while saying we need not be labling people negatively. I am also hurt by her ‘not a gifted whisperer’ because I LOVE MY MOMS garish clothes and her loud voice because she didn’t follow, she served.

Ann says

I so remember how the slightest deviation from the Beaver Cleaver family mold caused you to be judged harshly. My parents divorced when I was 8, and my mother moved to the West Coast, far from our family. But we were best friends and she sacrificed alot to make my life fun and happy. In High School I had been asked personal questions which I answered innocently with honesty. One answer exposed that my mother had an occasional Tom Collins when we went out to dinner with friends. I later saw an entry in my file which read “only child, broken home, mother drinks.” I have never forgotten it, in 40 years.

CARLENE says

Immediately I thought that Lisa was quite bitter if she still refers to thiswomen as the one in her garish bermuda shorts who spoke too loud (whispered). We have to remember that we don’t know how other people’s pain causes them to act in certain ways either. Teach forgiveness by forgiving others, Lisa.

Susie says

Please give me a break…..you sound critical and this is the problem with the church. She was just describing the lady and how non-compassionate and judgemental this lady was.

Cindy says

@ Judy. I think Lisa’s intent was not to be cruel but to paint a picture. She was just trying to animate this other mother for us. She did not say anything negative about the clothing she said everything about this woman down to her choice of clothing was garish. That’s how I took it anyway. Great story And lesson Lisa! God Bless!!

Mary says

Words can bless and words can harm.

Bettie says

“Branding” comes in different ways, too. A person of authority telling you that ‘you are not college material.’ It had affected my entire life trying to overcome those negative words. I praise God that I overcame, BUT it took several decades. I’m a well received person in my field and have received an education in a non-tradional way! When the old thoughts creep in I send Satan away.

stephanie says

Wish I could hear the audio since I am deaf I cannot sooo I don’t have a clue what lisa harper is saying

Ann says

Please don’t over analyze Lisa’s words; you will miss the point. The point is, words hurt and brand us, especially the young. The fact that she remembered what the woman was wearing indicates the hurt it inflicted on a 6 yr old. As a thin, wispy big nose child and teen, I endured much “branding”. It takes a lot to work through the pain of being branded. Extend grace please, not criticism. (My nose is still big).

Bryndl says

I remember my mom telling me a similar story of what happened to her as a little girl. It’s amazing how things that are said when we are kids stick around so long.

P.S. I am a loud person (usually the one people turn to to get someone else’s attention in a crowd) and my mom wore garish clothes and I absolutely loved what Lisa said! Thank you for being frank and honest Lisa!

Gloria E says

I really appreciate the spirit of this devotional because all of us have been there , on either side of that picket fence. As far as the clothing, we don’t want to judge a book by it’s cover nonetheless so many times our dress does send a message.

12. I love how Lisa can tell such an intimate and painful story. God gifted Lisa the talent to paint this memory for others with words and humor. We should try not to be “offended” so easily, just as we
    should try not to offend or accuse.