A Second Chance by Max Lucado

A Second ChanceBut he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him. But go, tell His disciples—and Peter—that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you.” —Mark 16:6-7 NKJV

Sure you can have a second chance.

Just ask Peter. One minute he felt lower than a snake’s belly and the next minute he was the high hog at the trough. Even the angels wanted this distraught netcaster to know that it wasn’t over. The message came through loud and clear from the celestial Throne Room through the divine courier. “Be sure and tell Peter that he gets to bat again.”

Those who know these types of things say that the Gospel of Mark is really the transcribed notes and dictated thoughts of Peter. If this is true, then it was Peter himself who included these two words. And if these really are his words, I can’t help but imagine that the old fisherman had to brush away a tear and swallow a lump when he got to this point in the story.

It’s not every day that you get a second chance. Peter must have known that. The next time he saw Jesus, he got so excited that he barely got his britches on before he jumped into the cold water of the Sea of Galilee. It was also enough, so they say, to cause this backwoods Galilean to carry the gospel of the second chance all the way to Rome where they killed him. If you’ve ever wondered what would cause a man to be willing to be crucified upside down, may now you know.

It’s not every day that you find someone who will give you a second chance—much less someone who will give you a second chance every day.

But in Jesus, Peter found both.

—Max Lucado

Excerpted from Cast of Characters, ©2008 by Max Lucado. Published by Thomas Nelson. Used with permission. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Thank God for always giving us a second chance, d coming of Jesus into d world was another chance given to man by God to bring us closer to God again, we should therefore be watchful in all we do by not waiting 4 another chance b’cos d next chance might be HOME-CALLING

MARIA says

Yolanda Mackie says

Praise God that he does give second chances!! Our calling/mission is to go
    about the world and share the gosel of Jesus Christ! I take elderly people
    to the next big town for their doctor’s
    appointments. This way I always have
    a captive audience! I also believe in
    being an abedient servant in sharing the word of god with my clients!

4. Thank You God, for second, third, fourth etc. chances. And thank you also for Max Lucado one of my favorites
    Blessings for today!
    Rhea…Let’s visit awhile at…
    B’s a Buzzin’

Sheila says

I love this today. I really need prayer as I have 2 Grandsons who their Mother has cut out of our family. Please pray for Chazz and Trevor and their father Charles. Actually the whole family. Really had now not to fall into discouragement. Sheila

6. Loved this story by Max..I needed to hear it. Can I relate this to having a second chance with a person in my life too?

Linda Case says

I dreamed about letting go and moving on all night. What a perfect messege for the morning!

Patti says

I loved this column. I need to know that second chances, that hope is always possible. It fuels me when I screw up in knowing that because God is always willing to forgive me, I can always make amends to those here and give people who hurt or disappoint me, a second chance.

9. I am thankful for second chances. God is good.

Theresa Wetherell:) says

Thank you !!!! Great info:)<3 I know it to be true :)<3 Something special happen's when w/e know :)<3 HIS Unconditional LOVE ):<3 ((( JESUS LOVES EVERY ): MAN:) WOMAN:) & CHILD:) YES:) LORD:):):) YES:)<3 ((( HALLELUJAH ))) P.T.L. :)<3