Miracle Cream

Chloe: Dear God and Jesus, thank you for getting to have breakfast with my friends and helping us find the new body cream. We’ve been looking for six years…

Amanda: At some point in both of my daughter’s lives I started using God to explain all unexplained events. I think this was passed down from my parents.

“Why is it raining?” Mallory asked one day.

“Because God decided the plants and trees needed water,” I said confidently.

“Didn’t he know I’m in my bathing suit on the way to the pool?” she replied with her little arms crossed and her lips pursed.

It became an easy way to answer the unanswerable questions about the world. I made it clear that God created and managed the universe—the good and the bad. The result: when things didn’t go their way, they would blame God, not me. But on the flip side, when things went their way, God got the credit, especially in Chloe’s world. In her mind there were no miracles too small or too big to put on God’s name.

On this day we had been to brunch with some friends. I was sharing with my dear friend Amy that Chloe’s eczema had gotten so bad on both her arms that she was scratching all of the time, sometimes to the point of bleeding. Amy suggested we try a product at Whole Foods called “California Baby.” So we left the restaurant and went right to the grocery store. Amy knelt down in the aisle of the store, gingerly rolled up Chloe’s little sleeves, and gently applied the cream to her inflamed skin. Almost immediately, we could see the skin go from red to a lighter pink.

“It’s a miracle,” I said out loud like someone in an infomercial.

Chloe looked at her arms and glowed. “It feels better already, Mommy, for real”

For Chloe, my use of the word miracle naturally meant that God was sending the healing. I started to wonder if maybe she was right, if all those things I took for granted, like good health, were really being guided by God on a daily basis. With that in mind, I grabbed four jars of the miracle cream and headed to the register. I decided you can never have too many miracles in the house.

Chloe on Miracles:
A miracle is like when Daddy lost his wedding ring and the big trucks buried it in the sand and made it harder. But he found it after. God is in charge of that.

Excerpted from I Love You to God and Back. Copyright ©2012 by Amanda Lamb. Published by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

I Love You to God and Back shares one hundred of six-year-old Chloe’s bedtime prayers in a heartwarming look at the bond between mother and child—and how bedtime prayers built their faith together.

Comments

Lona says

God is Love! I’ve realized thru a lot of prayer, reading, and meditation on His word that God has nothing to do with the bad things in our lives. Through sin, the world has suffering and pain but Jesus died on the cross not only for our sins but to make us righteous. By His stripes…we are healed! To me that means that Jesus has already given us health here on earth….we need to continually speak only that and rebuke anything that doesn’t represent perfect health.
    Religion has preached for way too long that God is soverign and makes all things happen on the earth rather good or bad but if you study His word, the Bible tells us that He gave His children the power on earth. We need to preach and tell our children about the power we were given thru Him and to speak only the love that God represents. Thanks….

2. Ah, beautiful reading Amanda, your wisdom in inserting God in daily conversation was also used by my Mother seventy or so years ago, beginning when I had the slightest understanding of God. She would be 96 now and I miss her every day I invite your readers to stop by and visit her memory. Like you, she was a wonderful Christian Lady, and she loved me.
    Blessings for your day!
    Rhea.
    B’s a Buzzin’

Karen L Cleaveland says

I absolutely love this excerpt! The faith of a child is amazing..I had a 1st grade student many years ago that had severe eczema and what I would have given for some cream to take that agony from him. God is so good to us and is still in the business of performing miracles. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever more! God bless you!

DEBBIE KIRBY says

What was the exact name of the California Baby product. I checked for it online, but they have so many products. My nephew has the same problem. Your help will be much appreciated from our family. We have tried numerous products and the little one is miserable. Please email me the exact name of the product-was it the calendula ?? Thankfully, Debbie

5. The Lord is beautiful and gracious to all of
    us he loves us unconditionally, He is Audiouson
    He is wonderful I just love him so. I can,t live
    without him, I will be internally lost without him in
    my life. Arnetta

linda c. says

PLEASE PRAY THAT GOD WILL HEAL ME:
    I HAVE SEVERAL HEALTH CONDITIONS THAT NEED GOD’S TOUCH. I HAVE PAINFUL ARTHRITIS IN BOTH KNEES; I ALSO HAVE AN AUTOIMMUNE D/O THAT COSTS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS EACH YEAR TO TAKE CARE OF.

Dottie S. Lewis says

WOW, so simple and yet so profound…

Ramona says

My granddaughter has also suffered with eczema for six years. I would very much be interested in learning which of the “California Baby” products helped Chloe. I checked the “California Baby” website and there seems to be several formula’s. A few of the different creams and lotions were Calendula Cream, Calming Cream, Eucalyptus Lotion, and Aloe Vera. Thank you for your help.

• Ramona,
      I was also wanting to know which cream.I did a search and found this on Amazon.com
      “Our customers have reported excellent results with California Baby’s Calendula Cream in their fight against eczema, perioral dermatitis, and other skin …” hope this helps, now if I can find it locally…
      B’s a Buzzin
      Rhea.
      B’s a Buzzin’

Michelle says

how very sweet and touching!! thanks for sharing!!

Linda Patrick says

Loved this story. If only we could all be like Chloe and accept all the miracles that God gives us! “Out of the mouths of babes…” Thank you for sharing. I will have to get this book. Having taught 31 years of Kindergarten, raising 4 sons, and now having 13 grandchildren, these prayers, I’m sure, will be precious to me.

Linda says

Very true it is the uneventful everyday events in life that God directs w/out our knowing it. Like keeping our children and grandchildren safe .

Joni D says

Thank you sometimes I forget to be childlike to my Father

Maureen says

My mother, almost 92, has her own Miracle Cream. She had pain in her back and down her leg. She went to many drs. and had several shots in her back. The pain was so bad she had trouble sleeping, had fallen a couple times, and had to use a walker to get around. Thanks to a specially mixed cream from a very special pharmacist, she can now walk around without the walker and is basically pain free.

DEBBIE KIRBY says

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CREAM OR PHARMACIST YOU USED SO I CAN CALL AND GET HIM TO GIVE INGREDIENTS TO MY MOM’S PHARMACIST. SHE LIVES IN PAIN DAILY. SHE IS 87 AND HAVE RHEUMATOID ARTHRITS. THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR SHARING.

Pam says

That was a happy story that made me reflect on my daily miracles. Thanks!

sunday says