Today is Mine

Today is MineSitting one still and sunny afternoon in a tiny chapel on an island in the South, I thought I heard someone enter. A young woman was weeping quietly. After a little time I asked if I could help. She confided her fears for the future—what if her husband should die? Or one of her children? What if money ran out?

All our fears represent in some form, I believe, the fear of death, common to all of us. But is it our business to pry into what my happen tomorrow? It is a difficult and painful exercise which saps the strength and uses up the time given us today. Once we give ourselves up to God, shall we attempt to get hold of what can never belong to us—tomorrow? Our lives are His, our times in His hand, He is Lord over what will happen, never mind what may happen.

Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business. If I peer anxiously into the fog of the future, I will strain my spiritual eyes so that I will not see clearly what is required of me now.

—Elisabeth Elliott

Excerpted from Refresh My Heart in Sprint. Copyright © 1998 by Word Publishing. Published by Word Publishing, a division of Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Comments

Antinita says

Thank you Mary…..Praise God as He gives us wonderful revealations and nuggets from his people

Mary A says

WORRY LOOKS DOWN, FEAR LOOKS BACK, FAITH LOOKS UP.
    Let the Lord be your guide.

Mary A says

oops, left out . . TRUST LOOKS FORWARD

Antinita says

That was beautiful and so true, as i am often challenged with the problems of tomorrow. I am reminded of what a friend of mine once told me, “Eat one thing at a time off the platter, do not try to consume the whole thing at once”. I praise God that he is teaching me and many others to rest, relax and trust Him for our tomorrows. I thank God daily for saving me as without him, I don’t know what I’d do.
    Yours in Christ

valerie (from uk) says

I tell myself 2 things every morning which help &encourage me 1) today is the first day of the rest of my life 2) This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice & be glad in it.
    I pray that this may be helpful to someone who is struggling with the concept of living life 1 day at a time & trusting God for the FUTURE.
    Yours in Christ Valerie

M. Provenzano says

Dear Elizabeth, I loved what you wrote and would like permission to include some of your work in a
    magazine I publish free of charge to as many Christians as possible. It would be in your own words
    and I wouldn’t change a thing. I would give you the credit and if there is any information you would like
    on me please email me and I will give you all the information you need. Thank You.

Aleta Hill says

This reminds me again of how much I respect Elizabeth Elliot for her honesty and clarity of thought. I agree with her tomorrow belongs to God not me. I belong to God and I can trust God for tomorrow. There is no need to worry or be anxious because God is the Blessed Controller.

karen says

God is directing me to go outside of my comfort zone. If I think about tomorrow it causes me to be anxious as though I don’t trust him. I trust that he will be with me and will be sure I can do the job required of me on that day. For now I will I trust him to see me through today.

8. this remind me of James 4:13-14 can’t worry about tomorrow and appreciate what was written in this message all time belong to God because it not our. have a bless day

9. scripture tells us to take no thought for tomorrow

Catherine says

WOW! Thank you for this reminder. Lately the what-ifs come in waves. I know God is in control and everything is in His time.

11. Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business. So beautifully stated. Thank you for reminding me.

Lorraine says

I needed to read this today and probably more than once. Having a wonderful husband of almost 53 yrs whose memory is somewhat slowing down, I sometimes think what is going to happen to either of us if God takes us home, I am reminded of His great love .

Pat Ivie says

As a former worry-wart, God has been working on me in this area and I’m growing, Praise the Lord. Oh how I love the insight she gives–tomorrow is God’s, not mine. I only have today to glorify Him in my life!

sharon says

Thanks for reminding me that today is mine and tomorrow is none of my business. God does know what we need and when to give it to us. I needed to hear this message today. Thanks again!!!
    Be Blessed!!!

Sharon N. says

I have missed “hearing” from Elisabeth Elliott. Thanks for printing an excerpt of her wisdom about living for each day. God wants us to live in the moment, and always to look and listen for Him. Worry and anxiety always take our eyes off of Him and put them on ourselves and our circumstances. Is our God sovereign? YES, we just need to make sure that He has that position in our lives. Thanks, Elisabeth. It would be great to hear you as a guest at Women of Faith. That’s a big hint!

16. Hi sis in Christ,
    Your response is very appropriate. Continue to be a blessing in this cold, dark world even though there are millions of professing christian. For many the only bible they would read is our attitude and lifestyle wherever we are..

Valerie says

It never ceases to amaze me God’s timing. I REALLY needed to hear this today, as I sit on the computer not yet having showered and dressed to go forth and LIVE the day. I will be printing this and carrying it around with me to consantly remind me I have today and need to make it glorify God with my choices, and not making choices to live the day, is NOT doing anything for anybody, especially me.
    Thank you so much for this daily “teaching” !

18. Eight years ago I was stricken with a chronic illness called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME). This horrific disease strips one of nearly all energy, leaving us feeling like we just ran a 10 mile marathon after simply washing the dishes. This is no exaggeration. It includes severe pain, cognitive impairment, IBS & several other ailments of our endocrine, immune, neurologic & digestive systems. Eighty five percent of CFS/ME patients are WOMEN….This is a real WOW, so please listen carefully ladies. I can no longer work for a living. This occurred in my early fifties and I am now 59.

Soon I came to truly know our Lord. I began to learn how to accept my situation in life, making the most of it. Sometimes I was bedridden for weeks. God showed me the creative side of my self. The Holy Spirit then guided me through writing a powerful Christian fiction novel on my computer and led me to crafting projects that showed me, without doubt, that I was still productive and valued as a human being. But mostly, I had to lean on God to get me through. There was nothing that could have given me the strength and encouragement I needed other than God in His infinite power.

Eventually, I came to be a strong Christian, meeting and marrying a wonderful Christian man, living a life of gratitude in Him. I still suffer from my illness, but without experiencing this I may never have found my true Father as I have. One of the greatest gifts I have received is learning how to hand my worries over to Him when becoming anxious. You see, stress is one of the strikes against me in CFS that causes severe relapses at times. Post-exertional malaise is very prominent as well, so remaining non-stressed is key to staying on top of my illness the best I can. This is the most effective method of easing the tension, stress and strife of everyday living. I encourage everyone to Let Go and Let God!!! He will ease you through every situation. However, you must totally BELIEVE in Him, Trust that He can do that, and anything else for you. Bless you all today…If anyone has any questions for me I will be happy to answer if I can.

• DEAR BRENDA
      IT IS AS THOUGH YOU WERE TALKING DIRECTLY TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ALL THE THINGS YOU DESCRIBE HAVE BEEN PLAGUEING ME FOR YEARS AND DON’T SEEM TO BE GETTING ANY BETTER! I LOVE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND PURPOSE AND HAPPINESS. IT SHOWS ME THERE IS HOPE. I TOO AM UNABLE TO WORK IN THE TRADITIONAL SENSE (FOR LACK OF A BETTER DESCRIPTION).
      THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY.

Mary A says

If you worry, why pray ? If you pray, why worry ?

Teresa says

Thank you for your awesome words…. my husband is suffering with liver cancer. I try to keep my focus on “one day at a time” as I know the Lord is in charge of all the details. My heart is breaking as I see the decline of my husband’s body but I know the Lord is holding me up throughout all this….

21. Absolutely the message I needed to hear today!!

Donna says

This is an Awesome message thank you for sharing. God has me and I don’t have to worry or fear tomorow its NONE of my Business. I have today and only this time right now. So Lord please help me to stay Focus on what you would have me to do on this day. Let me be a blessing in your Kingdom Today.

Nanci says

I people would life with this motto, God is in charge, Depression would soon fade away. Worry is from the devil only. Don’t let him control your life. Give it to God and enjoy the ride.

Judi Roberts says

Proverbs 3:: 5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge HIM and HE will direct your paths.” It has calmed many of my anxieties over the years.

• THIS IS MY FIRST VISIT TO THIS SITE AND I NEED TO REMEBER THIS DAILY. SO MUCH IS HAPPENING TO MY FAMILY THAT I AM UNABLE TO FIX. I PRAY TO THE LORD, I QUESTION THE WHY’S AND WHAT IF’S AND ALL IT GET’S ME IS MORE ANXIETY, FEAR, UNSETTLED THOUGTS AND EMOTIONS. TRUSTING ISN’T ALWAYS EASY AND SOMETIMES I DOUBT EVEN AFTER ALL THE MIRACLES, AND I KNOW HE IS FAIHTFUL, EVEN WHEN I AM NOT. UNDERSANDING GOD’S LOVE IS A COMPLEXITY I HAVE NOT COME TO MASTER.
      I QUESTON HIS JUDGEMENT WHEN HE ALLOWED ME TO BECOME A PARENT SINCE MY CHILDREN HAVE SUFFERED UNJUSTLY FOR THE BAD CHOICES I’VE MADE. HE SEES ALL AND I CAN’T UNDERSTAND THE REASONING FOR ALL THEIR SUFFERING. I KNOW HE GAVE US FREE WILL AND LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES. BUT WHEN A PERSON CAN’T SEEM TO MAKE GOOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY TRY, WHERE’S THE INTERVENTION? I’M CONSTANTLY ASKING GOD TO SAVE ME FROM MYSELF MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THESE DAYS. SOME DAYS I THINK HE HEARS ME
      I DON’T KNOW WHY I’M WRITING THIS. I GUESS I NEEDED TO SHARE WITH PEOPLE WHO DON’T KNOW ME SO I DON’T FEEL VULNERABLE , JUDGED , OR MISUNDERSTOOD . MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN RELATE AND NOT FEEL SO ALL ALONE……..AS I DO.
      IT IS OBVIOUS HE WILL NEVER LEAVE ME OR FORSAKE ME. I JUST WISH MY CHILDREN COULD COME TO BELIEVE IT IN SPITE OF LIFE.

Trina says

God knows exactly what we need to hear. This is what I am struggling with today. Thank you Emily for writing this message, but most of all I thank God for using Emily to give me this message.

jena says

Such impactful words…”Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business.” Something for those who dive deeply into planning and worrying, rather than prayer and praise – like myself – to remember. Thank you.

gloria kratz says

wonderful thought for ” living in the now”, taking one day at a time There are no problems in the now, its when we hang around regreting the past or anticiaating the future. Yea, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is a dream. Live well and have faith today.

Rhonda Pearcy says

With my son serving in Afghanastan and their unit recently dealing with casualties, I needed that reminder this morning. Thank you!!
    Trusting in God’s WILL, not the MAY,
    Rhonda

Patti says

Oh how I needed to read this today.

Connie Sutter White says

I have lost my daughter and husband and it is now that my love for Jesus that I don’t worry what will happen but I am greatful for what I had and what he will give me in the future.
      Connie

summer says

These words spoke to me deeply. After suffering from post partum related mental illness that has plagued me for over six years…and left me fearing and sometimes longing death, this word has given me new perspective. Thank you!!

D. Lehman says

These words by Elizabeth Elliott are so true. When we try to plan our lives for the future and it’s not what God wants for us, we become discouraged and frustrated. Our prayer should always be that God will direct our lives. This is not to say that we can’t have aspirations of accomplishing certain things that bring us happiness. But, God will bless our thoughts and actions if they are in harmony with His will for us. Stress comes into our lives when we don’t rely on God for His direction and blessings and it can cripple us and keep us from being the person God created us to be. Let God take care of our future, no matter what that might be. He is faithful and loves His creation and knows what’s best for us.

32. I truly loved your words here. They really spoke to me – a known fretter!

Thank you for this.

nina says

Thank you for the insight. So true. Hebrews 13:8 reads
    Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.
    He’s always there Just ask for what you need, He’ll be there If you believe.
    Open Up your heart, invite Him to come in.
    Praise God. We love YOU FATHER GOD. Amen.

34. Awesome spiritual food for thought! Today is mine.

Mary Jo Moore says

This, too, used to bother me a great deal. I cling to Matthew 6:25-34. Since my Lord is taking care of the birds and flowers, He will take care of me-NO MATTER WHAT..

36. we should try not to live each day as “what if” because no matter what happens God is in our yesterday’s. today’s and tommorrow’s. January of last year we had a fire in our home with the kitchen being totally destroyed and the rest of the house with lots of smoke damage, but looking back I can see God’s hand in the wholle situtation from begining to end, He knew long before this fire what our needs would be and how long we would have specific needs that needed to met. He provided every step of the way. I have since that time learned so many lessons and every day I can see God’s hand in everything that has come my way since, and no life is still not a bed of roses we are still in tough times like every one else and yes I do find myself slipping and starting to worry but then I remeber who hold’s my tommorrow’s. Have a great day my sisters in the Lord! love you –christmas-carol

37. I feel so much joy living today. I praise God for each and every circumstance because its brought me to experience joy this very moment. And, yes, there are times I grieve, but there is a beautiful Savior whom grieves alongside me. Jesus wept. He still weeps. I know I am not alone. Thank you Jesus for being enough. For loving me. For caring about me. For paying my sin with Your blood. For allowing me to experience the joy I do have in you. For blessing me with my son. For everything I have. May You look at me with joy in Your eyes this very moment…

Jeanette says

“Tomorrow is none of my business” – awesome thought to be reminded that we don’t have to have the pressure of “tomorrow” because God is in charge!

Christy Plumley says

This has been the focus of my heart again in recent weeks. I was not surprised when I discovered that it was written by Elisabeth Elliott. Blessed !

Rachel Hind says

Thanks for these words of insight. I just experienced the death of my father this past week and the anguish my mother experienced daily leading up to his death. She too worried constantly about tomorrow and what she would do if Dad were to leave suddenly. Well that day came and now she worries about what she is going to do as she moves forward. I will share these words with her in the weeks to come and will look for a copy of the book. Thank you.

Mary A says

Grief Share.org is an amazing Christ centered program available thru many Churches nation-wide. The loss of a dear loved one is one of the most life changing, tragic, traumatic events of ones life time. It’s a journey that only those who are or have experienced recently can empathize or relate to, and it cannot be circumvented or expedited, it is going through the “Valley of Death”. Having the support of other caring Christians traveling the same road lightens the load and brings incredible comfort and hope.
      My daughter Rachel, age 44, passed away 4 years ago. Losing a child no matter how old is beyond what most parents are programmed for, and losing your life partner, parent, sibling or other loved ones is as painful. Grief Share and Christ helps to carry you through that Valley.

41. I am sometimes challenged with “what if” for there are so many possibilities! But, God in His infinite mercy continues to draw me back to the here and now.