Finding Peace on the Path

It is truly amazing what God will show you when you are acting on His plan for you.

Monday morning, I touched down in Oklahoma City to start rehearsing for the Celebrate What Matters tour. It’s an opportunity I’m truly blessed to have, and it’s begun better than I could ever have imagined. From the minute I got off the airplane, people have been so friendly and so supportive, and it seems as though everybody is ready and focused on doing God’s work. I am so incredibly humbled that God chose something so special for me.

It comes in the midst of an incredibly eventful time for my family, with my husband Emmitt about to embark on another season of Dancing With the Stars and my children being weeks away from important years of school. But like always, when you’re in the middle of doing good for God, the Enemy has sprung an attack on us. Our 13-year-old daughter is in the hospital, battling a virus that put her in the emergency room over a week ago. Like all mommies, I hate leaving my babies for any reason, but these circumstances made it really tough to pack my suitcase. I had to find something to lean on for this trip, and I found it in Exodus 33:14:

And He said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.

And the moment I got here, that rest came because I felt almost overcome with purpose from God. I do not know much about Oklahoma City. I have never been involved in a production so big and so elaborate (I’ve done things on TV before, but I’d barely even dreamed of being on a stage as big as Chesapeake Energy Arena!). But I feel at peace because I am on the path that God gave me, the one He put me back on. The best part is, He used Women of Faith to put me back on it a few years ago.

When I attended my first Women of Faith event just under a year ago, things could not have been any more different in my life. I felt silenced in my marriage, sitting in the background, in my husband’s shadow while his public career had a second wind. I felt my dreams and ambitions slipping away from me.

I didn’t think about it in these terms at the time, but I really just felt apart from God, cut off from what I felt was His plan for me. Going to Women of Faith with my dear friend Brenda Warner changed that. It planted the seeds for my ministry, for Treasure You, for the work I do with Pat & Emmitt Smith Charities. It even renewed the love that I have for my family.

I know the next few weeks are going to be crazy–rehearsals starting at 7 am, figuring out travel and logistics and schedule and somehow trying to stay connected to my five beautiful babies! But so much of the hurt and brokenness I felt when I first discovered Women of Faith has been replaced. And it humbles me so much to think that God wants me to do the same for all of you!

Pat Smith

We’re delighted to welcome Pat to the Women of Faith stage for the first time this weekend! Hear her story at Celebrate What Matters in Oklahoma City or one of the other events where she’ll be joining us. (See Pat’s schedule.) Whatever you do, don’t miss this exciting new event. We aren’t kidding when we say “You’ve never experienced Women of Faith like this!” Register here.

Comments

1. Pat I come to you on behalf of a friend I have known for over 40 years. She is battling a life threatening disease and her faith in the Lord is beyond measure. I know you will be in Dallas in September and I pray there is a way for her to attend, if her health sustains her. If not, I am asking that you reach out to her. You know her not, but I pray the Lord puts it on your heart to respond to this call. Again I ask not for myself, but on behalf of one of His children. She is in Denton, TX and can use an angel’s wings right about now to lift some of her burden. In the name of Jesus I pray you respond 916-837-2701.

Shirley says

My daughter and I saw you in Oklahoma City this past weekend. The conference was spectacular. I will be praying for you and I pray your daughter is out of the hospital and well now. God bless you this year. I pray He will pour out His grace upon you and your family in ways we could never imagine .

Christy says

Pat:
    I can’t imagine leaving your sick child to minister! How faithful of you to sacrifice so much to answer God’s call. I too felt cut off from God, and WOF was like a breath of fresh air. When I got back home I cried and prayed and I didn’t know what to do, but God gave me the answer in John 15:1-8. I was a branch withering because I was no longer connected to the vine. I wept bitterly because I thought I was beyond hope and would be burned. We went to church today where my pastor preached on that very passage. God was not telling me that I was to be burned! No! He was telling me that all I had to do was connect myself back into the vine. All I had to do was abide in him and I could again be alive. Thank you for being apart of another beginning. I don’t want to try to live my life without him anymore. See you next year!
    Christy

4. I am so THRILLED for you Pat & the opportunity to bring people to Christ through WOF. I’m sure it is hard being Mrs Emmitt Smith, but now you’re making your own mark as a daughter of Christ. A mark that will change people’s lives forever :)

CherylTrue says

All I have to say Pat is that you did a great job today at WOF in OKC. We loved listening to you and the others these last two days. I really loved your message and it hit home. Keep up the awesome work! Thank you for being a big part of our lives today! God bless and take care. Praying for you and your family. (hope your little one gets better quick!)

Joyce says

Pat,
    What courage and strength you have. To follow God’s plan for you and put your trust and daughter in His hands. I pray your daughter grows in strength and health and recovers quickly. I also pray that you touch many lives with your message.

I have attended 2 WOF events in recent years in Columbus OH, but was not able to this year. I miss the energy and uplift that followed those experiences; it was so wonderful. All the best in your time with that wonderful group of women and men.

Joyce

Jessica polk says

I will be sitting in the audience at cheoeake arena this weekend taking in all the messages the WOF team have. Looking forward to hear from you!

Lisa says

Pat, my mom was such a huge fan of Emmit’s and and being raised in Dallas in the Landry era….well, Need I say more? As I find myself following in her footsteps as somehow we do, I see all the little things in life that she did for me. I pray your daughter health and security in knowing that her Mom loves her. And prayer for continued awareness of God’s Spirit abounding around you. What a blessing to be with those fine, fun, transparent women and (men). I have been to several WOF and will be at the San Antonio event in October. Promises to continue to pray for you and the entire family……both yours and the Team! God is good, all the time! :) See you in S.A.

Kristina Torr says

Thank you for sharing! I look forward to these emails I get every week! I was really hoping to come to the conference when they are in Philadelphia but I am unable to come this year because I have had some medical issues that I have had to deal with the past couple of months that have cost me more than I thought. I am very disappointed as I could really use the encouragement right now. I am going through one of thoses valleys and it has been very hard. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don’t even have a church right now which is making it even harder! The emails I get from women of faith are blessing and I thank God for them!

Kristin says

Pat, Welcome to Okc… Praying for you, your precious daughter and family…looking forward to seeing you here in OKC… it will be a God filled and a fun filled exciting time.
    Blessings from Above to you:) Kristin

barb says

Thank you for a wonderful story. I wish I knew the path God has for me. I feel I’m like a gerbil. going around in circles. I have lost the zeal to read God’s word and even when I pick up the Bible, I have no clue as to where to start. feel alone even in a church full of people.

Lisa says

Must go to Women of Faith event….will pray for God to reveal His plan. A really good Bible study is called Experiencing God……if you can find a group and/or do the workbook. Pretty much fun doing that study…

Pam says

Barb, your comment touched my heart. I’ve been where you are, in some ways still am. When I don’t seem to hear God through His word, I read in the Psalms. King David experienced incredible highs and incredible lows and I can often relate better to him than to Paul. Hang on – this time will pass! I will be praying for you.

12. Welcome Pat! I will attend the September conference in Philadelphia, so I won’t be able to hear you, but I am very happy that you are with Women of Faith. I hope that you’ll enjoy your participation. May God continue to richly bless you and your family. I’m born and raised in Philly so, Eagles all the way, but my brother-in-law is die hard Cowboys.

-Dionne

Lynn Wolfe says

Pat,
    I am registered for the conference in Pittsburgh being held in September. I was so excited to read your blog and immediately went to see if you would be in Pittsburgh. To my dismay, you will not be. I am so sorry that I will miss seeing you. I will see you though in the audience watching your husband on Dancing With the Stars. You have a wonderful family and I will be praying that your message will touch many hearts.

Dorothy says

Pat:

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry that you will not be coming to Ft. Lauderdale this year. I have prayed for you and your family. I prayed for total healing for your daughter. May the Spirit of the Lord empower you for all that you do. Let the joy of the Lord be your strength!

15. Here is a link to a video of a fundraiser held in our community to raise money to send women to a WOF conference in spring 2013:

Beth Hoffmann says

Thank you for another reference to go with Acts 8:4 and Romans 8:38-39 and Matthew 28:18-20 for encouragement as I look toward a required journey I wish I didn’t need to make.
    Blessings to you in your ministry.

Stephanie says

AMEN! Thanks for sharing Pat. I will be in DC next weekend so I will miss you but am so happy for you and hope one day our paths with cross at Women of Faith or someone else in life. I will be watching Dancing with the Stars and cheering your hubby on although we are Giant Fans!!!!