It Was a Set Up

The Celebrate What Matters tour is officially up and running, and my second date is just around the corner. This weekend, I’ll be in Spokane, Washington, reveling in the presence of God with thousands of wonderful women, and I’m busy preparing myself to share God’s message.

But I’m also still deeply thankful for how He showed up and supported me this past weekend.

Deep down, I always knew that He would be there, but it’s crazy how the enemy will attack before your breakthrough. Boy, did he attack.

All through rehearsals last week, I would stand in the rafters or sit at the foot of the stage, watching all my teammates and friends and girlfriends in Women of Faith. And as I watched, feeling the power of their ministry and seeing the comfort that comes with 10, 20 or even 30 years of experience ministering on the road, all I could think was: “I can’t do this.”

The enemy told me I wasn’t in their league, that I couldn’t follow up. The enemy told me I’d walked into a setup, that this was like everything else in my life. I thought this was going to be a win for me, but instead, the enemy told me I was about to be defeated.

Even though I knew that I was there on God’s assignment, even though I knew He was there with me, I began to panic. And the more I watched and waited, the worse it got. Every day it got a little bit tougher. Then, just hours before our first show, I lost it.

It was during our lunch break when I started to feel like I was in trouble. Suddenly, I was overwhelmed with doubt and fear and loneliness. I felt the brokenness that had accumulated in me; I felt it powerfully. And I was supposed to go out on stage in a matter of hours.

Suddenly, into my dressing room (and to my rescue) came Sheila Walsh and Sandi Patty and my spiritual advisor, Cathy Moffitt. And they were all praying over me. They reminded me that I was on an assignment from God, that He would be with me throughout this whole process. They lifted me up in a way that I will remember forever, and suddenly I found myself going out on stage to minister.

After an incredible two days of hugs, love, and prayer in Oklahoma City, I got this text from Angie Smith:

I’m sure everyone around you is telling you this, but I wanted to be one more voice in the crowd. You were born to glorify the Lord the way you did today. You stomped on the enemy the second you took that stage, and it’s territory he will never regain. I’m praying for you this week. Really, Pat. I’m so proud to share a corner of life with you. Well done :)

Reading Angie’s message, I realized that this past weekend in Oklahoma City was a setup. But it wasn’t the enemy doing the setting up. It was God showing me what we have to go through to do His work, how deeply we have to commit to what He’s planned for us. I know and feel that commitment now, and not even Satan himself can defeat me because of it.

Photos from Celebrate What Matters

Pat with some attendeesPat Smith and Liz Curtis Higgs

Pat Smith - Sheila Walsh, Liz Curtis Higgs, Angie SmithPat Smith and Angie Smith

Comments

Diane P says

Pat,
    It was so great meeting you and hearing you speak. I was one of the Virginia girls. The other one with me was my daughter-in-law. This was my first Women of Faith conference and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You did a fantastic job.

Stacey S says

You were so inspiring you let us all know that it’s okay to feel the way we feel but to remember God is there and he does see us as winners! Pat thank you for such a great weekend all you women were wonderful. This was my first experience with Women of Faith and can not wait till next year. Love and God’s Blessings to you all!

Diana Blakesley says

Pat it was so amazing meeting you and hearing your story! You are beautiful. Inside and out! Thank you for showing us that second place is ok and that sometimes it is better than first!

4. I just love hearing stories of God confirmations of our dreams. He used your story to confirm a similar dream of mine. May he bless your faithfulness and the faithfulness of all who prayed over your fears during the enemies attack. God bless your ministry.

Rochelle Staley says

Hi Pat, I just had the privilege to be at the Women of Faith in Spokane. Thank you so much for being real with us and sharing your story and love of God! You keep going girl and claiming God’s message and his people! <3

6. Pat, you did an amazing job in Spokane! You truly have the Hand of God on you! You are doing what He wants you do to! Thank you for sharing YOU with us in Spokane, WA!

Angie says

Pat,

You did an amazing job in Spokane this weekend. I’ve been to many Women of Faith conferences and they are amazing every year. Thank you for being obedient to God and letting Him lead and guide you and for sharing your story.

Angie

8. Pat,

I was at Women of Faith in OKC last weekend. You did a phenomenal job! I really enjoyed hearing your story. You are a beautiful women inside and out. God was with you, and will continue to be. I appreciate your honesty and authenticity. Enjoy the rest of the tour, God is using you for His purpose!

Cassie White

Lou Ann Fischer says

I was at that conference and I can tell you that you connected with the audience because you were real. We could relate to you. I certainly never won a beauty pagent and I don’t have a famous husband but that’s exactly why I loved you. I could relate to the struggles even with different circumstances. You were fabulous. Thank you so much for being there.