Hearing From God

Scripture + Holy Spirit = Absolute TruthAll Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing people what is wrong in their lives, for correcting faults, and for teaching how to live right.  2 Timothy 3:16 (NCV)

A couple months ago someone told me I was wise beyond my years.   She went on to ask me how old I was and at my answer she responded, “You hold your age well.  You’re older than I thought.”  So then I thought while this makes me look decent for my age, I’m now not so wise.  I suppose since I was given my first administration position as a principal at age 24 and since I can’t seem to find my way out of administration, others have thought me wise.  But it wasn’t until the past couple years that I realized how poorly I was utilizing this apparent gift.

If you recall some of my thoughts at the beginning of the year, I expressed my time in silence and meditation this year for gaining wisdom.  Throughout the year of these experiences, I’ve had some amazing communication with the Holy Spirit.  Though I would not have believed it had I not experienced it, I very humbly heard from God.

In all my human striving, anxiety to make right decisions, to want others to “see” things, one of the things I heard from God was this: “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit” (Zechariah 4:6, NKJV).  Though I have attempted to utilize Scripture to teach, rebuke, correct, and train myself as well as others; I had not surrendered the real work to the Spirit.

The Scripture is “useful”, but we also need to rest in the Holy Spirit and listen.  “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.”  (John 14:26 NKJV)

Dr. Beth Ackerman is the Associate Dean, School of Education, at Liberty University. To learn more about Liberty University, click here.

Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored post.”  The company who sponsored it compensated Women of Faith/The Revolve Tour via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to write or post it.  Regardless, Women of Faith/The Revolve Tour is committed to recommending only those products or services we believe in and feel will have value to our readers. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR. Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. Views and opinions expressed may not reflect those of Women of Faith.

Comments

Theresia Kveder says

Dr Beth, I have never (unfortunately) ever been told I looked younger than my age. You are probably blessed with good genes : >) ….Like you though, I believe what the scriptures tell us about the importance of “wisdom”….”more important than any silver or gold”….Thank you for reminding me that the Holy Spirit will provide the wisdom & knowledge we need daily…we need only to be “still” & “hear” that voice. Each day is a journey.

Robin says

Maybe God is using you to speak to me now. While He has spoken to me not only through the Holy Spirit,he has also used various other sources. I have been unemployed for two years. From the moment I lost my last job in 2010, I have prayed for His guidance through this situation about finding another job or going self-employed. I have yet to see a definite answer. This has been the longest time period that He has not given me any definite direction. My faith has been tested. I have had to really learn to trust him through some very tough times. This isn’t my first time at experiencing adversity. I have seen His hand touch my life in so many way while going through my past adversities.

You see, I am 57-years-old and practiced public relations and marketing communication for going on 10 years. I know th world sees me as being unemployable because of my age and being out the workforce for two years, but I know that’s not true through God’s eyes. I have been praying and praying about this situation. I don’t intend to stop praying about this. I would like to finally have His answer.

Cathy Peters says

Hi,

Just wanted to encourage you that God can give you a job at any age! My father in law was also unemployed for a duration of I can’t remember how long! He was hired at the age of 63. I remember they asked him in his interview, “How long do you intend to stay here in this job?” He said, “You’ll have to wheel me out of here in my desk chair.” (Understood to mean, til I die.) He got the job and has loved it! =0) God is able!

Cathy Peters

marcia moston says

Ahh, learning to abide, rest in, trust in his longing for relationship (and that means communication) and the fact he can and will accomplish what concerns us. May you enjoy your journey. Thanks for the refreshing word.

marlene salcher says

Beth,
    I can certainly relate with a lot of your comments. There were times I so wanted God to speak to me but He had to wait till I was in the “right” frame of mind to hear. I so wanted to “get it right” and tell everyone else how to get it right. I made some terrible mistakes, even with my children. One of my children even said to me, “You beat us over the head with the Bible.” I confess, at times I did that. God has since revealed to me that my motive was right (I so wanted them to know Him), my message true,(I wanted them to really know what His Word said), but my method all wrong. It had to be the Holy Spirit’s prompting in and through me that could accomplish His work, not me trying so hard to get it right. i have learned this year how much I struggled with feeling ignored by parents, husband, children and yes, even with God and forgot that when He needed me to know something, He would tell me and He would so fill me and cause His Word to flow from my lips. I’ve learned what a co-dependent looks like and now, I am asking Him even more to fill me and work in and through my life.

Robin Leigh says

I spent six years afraid to mention even in church that God and I were in communication with one another. It is so very refreshing to see other people finally start to talk about this subject. Makes me feel more comfortable in accepting what I know and sharing that with other people. Thank you so much for your honesty.