A Way with Words

A Way with WordsI didn’t even have a ticket when I arrived at my first WOF event in Hartford last year.  I had decided to attend at the very last minute.  I didn’t know anyone there and certainly didn’t know what to expect.

God knew, though.  A multi-sensory spiritual pep rally was in store, complete with soul-stirring worship and heartwarming stories.  In an arena filled with tens of thousands of women, I heard God whispering in my ear and reigniting my passion for writing.

I’ve always loved words—from the time I was a little girl and my father taught me a new word every night when he tucked me into bed.  Now, four decades later, God was reminding me of that love through Women of Faith.

As I experienced the event, descriptive phrases were rolling through my mind like ticker tape:  the litany of lyrics weaving a melodious tapestry; the gifted speakers painting vivid word pictures; the enticing stacks of books inviting me to learn not only about God but also about myself.

When I returned home that evening, I dusted off my journal and began to write letters to God again.  Since then, I’ve written several inspirational stories, one of which was recently published by Guideposts.  I even had the memorable experience of meeting a very special lady whose life was changed by reading my article.

It is my dream to share my stories about faith and hope with others.  I know the Author of life has a plan for me and I want to thank Women of Faith for adding an exclamation point to my journey!

Comments

1. Kay, thanks for sharing this new found love back to writing. I, too, love words and deeply believe there is a book or two inside of me to share to give great testimony to God’s love, forgiveness and grace. I have written articles for our local newspaper in hopes of opening up to our community the world of amazing and uplifting Christian authors. Last year, I opened a book shop/craft store to give opportunity for others to checkout encouraging books, music and movies. It has been over a year and still going strong amidst working also at a job that pays me to be there!!! I also help people by selling for them on ebay. I cannot imagine life without books, without words, without God’s Word! Take care….deb

2. Wow! Kay, this is just what I needed to read this morning! I love writing and my passion is reigniting!
    Thank you for helping us get past the brokenness and into the healing and purpose that God has for us.

Cathy says

Keep writing Kay, It is clear that there is a gift of God with in your words. Praise God he knew just how and where to lead you to ignite that gift. I love books and I love to gather spiritual insight from those God uses to put what he has taught them into words. Whether it be fiction or not, God will use it to bless those he chooses, just like the gifts of the Women of Faith blessed you.

Christine Weston says

WOW, if I didn’t know any better, I could swear that I just wrote that blog. The exact same thing happened to me, except in Denver. I have never even thought about writing a book and now all of a sudden I can’t stop writing. It has to be all of our spirits comingling with the Holy Spirit in a deep desire to help one another. We all have a deep connection that we are not even aware of. Blessings to you my sweet sister!

Diane says

Thank you for this testimony, Kay. It was a blessing to me, as I too love to write!

Kathy says

God’s list for our lives never ends. I am so glad that I read this post today. It has inspired me to go on writing my own book. It is my first book and I am praying God will use my words to help others who are in denial as I was for so long. He can take a broken vessel and mend it and use it all we have to be is willing to let that happen.

Maria Korte says

Thank You for this.. My daughter is 7 yrs. old and for the last 3 years has attended a private Christian church school. She has learned and loved God’s word every day in her education but due to financial difficulties has started in public this year. Last week, after 2 months, she came to me and requested, (on her own!), to be quized on Bible verses. I am currently searching web sites to copy on flash cards for her. God works is EVERY way! Thank You!!!

7. Your story makes it incredibly clear how God speaks to us personally. I am not a published writer, but I have been keeping journals for several decades. One day, after I am gone, I want those I love to read what I have written so they can see how awesome a God we serve. I highly recommend journaling because when I read what I have previously written, I see how faithful God has been to me and how I have grown to be more like Him. I am always amazed at the insights the Holy Spirit has given me that I could never have remembered had I not written them down. Journaling always gets my incorrect thinking straight by the time I am finished pouring out my heart to God.

Mary says

I would like to read more about her story that Guidepost said it changed someones life. How can we see that story?

• Dear Mary,

Thanks very much for asking about the article. I’ve included the link below and it’s about the way God led me to my new church. I heard from my pastor that a local woman (Cheryl) read my Guideposts article and found the church through it; she had been looking for a church home for years – only God could have orchestrated that. I had the privilege of meeting her recently, too.

Blessings,
      Kay

Lynn J Wertz says

How inspiring when God touches us and we do something beautiful for mankind that inspires us all!!! He does have a purpose & a plan for us!!! In His great Love & Strength & Mine!!! Lynn

10. We serve Awesome God and He knows what we need and when we need it.Praise God for having you see the importance of your writing. You listened and follow the stirring in your heart! God Bless you!

Jeannette Larson says

I attended the conference in Sacramento CA I must say the new format was just awesome! I hope to make it to Friday & Saturday next year. Thank you to ALL who were a part of this.