Cussing Thoughts

The sky was blue. The snow crisp white. The mountain slopes full of choices to be made. Which run will we take?

A “blue run” is what we tackled first.

This is how slopes are labeled by the ski officials. The officials whose job it is to inform skiers exactly what they’re about to get into. Yes, those of us crazy enough to strap slick glorified popsicle sticks to our feet and careen down a mountain need to be informed.

Green for beginners. Blue for intermediates. Black for the advanced and those who think they are advanced until they get too far to turn back. Bummer.

No, we would be smart with this skiing thing. We wouldn’t overestimate our abilities. We wouldn’t be tackling the black runs. But blue? Yes please.

So blue it was. The sky and the run. The perfect skiing adventure.

Until.

The moguls.

We’d been on several lovely runs down the same slope when Art suggested we try a different lift. Taking us to a different slope. Hunh? I am emotionally allergic to different. I like to discover something that’s good and stick with it. Why mess with what’s working? With what feels good?

Um, no thanks.

“It will be great,” he insisted and headed on over to the new lift.

Either I was going to follow him or be left behind. He was going. That’s when I had my first not so nice thought. I call them cussing thoughts. It’s not that I was actually saying cuss words. No, more like really negative thoughts that I wouldn’t want to be broadcast out loud. You know what I mean?

So.

A new slope it would be.

Things started out well. But then we hit this place that made the designers of said slope giggle when deciding just how to make this run interesting. Have you ever heard people say something like, “Everything was going fine until we hit a little bump in the road”? Yes, well, try a steep mountain full of nothing but bumps. Like the kind that could careen you off the side of the mountain. Or snap your legs in half.

Oh I kid not.

As fear coursed through every fiber of my body, my mind filled up with all things negative and derogatory.

What’s so ironic is just an hour before I was helping my friend Laci learn to ski. She was terrified. I was confident.

“You can do this,” I assured. “Don’t look down the mountain, and think you can’t get through this. Look across the mountain. Just ski from side to side on the slopes and before you know it you’ll be safely at the bottom.”

I hadn’t really taught Laci how to ski. I’d taught her how to think. And when she got into the right mental mode, she learned to ski.

She had to resist the cussing thoughts so she could choose the corrected thoughts. Because dark thoughts are like a black run down the mountain. Once you get on the black slope of cussing thoughts they’ll take you down to places you don’t want to go.

Now it was my turn to apply my own advice. And I failed miserably. I made that run so much more difficult by letting the cussing thoughts come in and bring me down.

How like life.

Every day we’re going to hit bumpy spots in life.

Someone will do something that rubs you wrong. Cussing thoughts or corrected thoughts?

A situation doesn’t go the way you hoped it would. Cussing thoughts or corrected thoughts?

You don’t get that opportunity you felt you deserved. Cussing thoughts or corrected thoughts?

A cussing thought can become a corrected thought by asking three questions:

• Is this thought in line with truth?
  • Is this thought in line with who I am?
  • Is this thought in line with who I want to be?

God has taught me how to think using His truth but I have to make the choice to apply what I’ve learned.

God has called me a child of God but I have to choose to live this legacy.

God has challenged me to grow in my knowledge of Him but I have to choose whether or not to display this growth through my actions.

(We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ,” 2 Corinthians 10:5.)

Comments

JoLynn A says

This was so “spot on” with what I needed to hear today! What a wonderful, Godly inspiration.

2. Your writing is so captivating that it has etched this message deep in my memory. Each time those “cussing thoughts” come, I remember this message and I know I can make the choice not to go on the black slope. Thank you for making these choices so graphic and clear. God bless you richly.

June says

Thank you Lysa for this article. I grew up with a Mom who was raised by her siblings@ the age of nine years old. My grandparents were murdered , and shortly after this tragic event, my Aunt & Uncles have to step in & play the Mother & Father role. My mom grew up with her siblings. The greatest realization in these 5 struggling years of taking care of our daughter who has schofrenia, occurred from taking 3Vaccines that kaiser gave her.. We are fighting for her health.
    What I’m trying to say is that sometimes we just don’t think we need help?… Unlike the tragic that happen to my mother… She was only 9 at the time … & it was not until I’m over 50 that I realized that this tragic that happen to her have effected how she can raise us properly because no one told her she would need counseling.
    I am a Christian & definatelly I believe All things is possible with God…I don’t have to listen to the negative thoughts that the Enemy throws at me.

Iceman* says

Read your post and loved the creative description of how we all are victims of our sinful nature. It brings to focus that while we strive to grow in our relationship with Christ, away from sin, our tongues and our thoughts keep us revisiting the unwanted. In this test life, it is always a constant work in progress. I am learning that admitting that we are imperfect beings in this world, that cannot fix ourselves on our own, helps us in the effort of trying to live our insides out. Christ has paid for our sins past, present and future. Stay in God’s word and they will fix mistakes as we make them. We might ever make them.

Dori says

Well said ~ I think women especially struggle with this train of thought.

Becky says

Read this yesterday morning, day started off good, then a totally unexpected and unwelcomed comment from a co worker turned it to a steep mountain full of bumps; the day went from an easy run on a green slope to an impossible black run. I would like to say that, in the heat of the moment, I remembered what I read here and controlled my thoughts, but I have to admit to a few “cussing thoughts.” Unfortunately, there were a few…but as I face this day, and this coworker, I have read this again and make a commitment to work towards correcting those thoughts, with God’s help.

Stephanie S. says

Those three questions are really helpful when it comes to trying to purify your thoughts. Your points on how we are called to do many things but it is our choice to do them are very important too. Purifying our thoughts is a great way to help us do all of that. If we do not have good thoughts on the inside and live a Christian life internally then it is almost like we’re being a little fake. I also love how you use your skiing experience to convey all of this – I could picture the slope and the bumps in my mind.

Carolyn Jenkins says

God is so good & His timing is perfect! I laughed & cried when I read this. It just so happened that I just came back from a ski trip when I read this. My husband’s name is Art & daughter is Lexi (close enough to Laci! Lol!) That story was me!!! & I know better! Yet those thoughts..those evil thoughts! This writing convicted me..thank you Jesus :) love the writing!! Thanks

JOY says

Thank you for this encouraging message about cussing thoughts. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that has those. So many times we have that stinking thinking with the negative vibes but I know that it is against the truth that is in God’s Word. Now when those thoughts want to creep back in, I make it a point to quote scripture. My favorites are ” I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengths me.” or “Count it all JOY…”

Drechelle says

Thank you for sharing! I have had a few “Cussing Thoughts.” Now, I’m realizing what changes I need to make. Although they are not audible thoughts, are they thoughts I would choose to truly reflect who I am?

11. love this correlation with moguls… I had the same experience and my thoughts went way dark against my friend…… I love your word picture and I do want my thoughts to run true and be a blessing rather than a curse.

Lyn says

I am so happy to see someone finally write about this as being a part of Christian growth! I too used to catch myself with cussing thoughts and I would get so disappointed in myself because I’m not someone who cusses aloud. Unlike you I would actually think cuss words not just negative thoughts. I would have a feeling that would tell me I should not think that way because that was not who I am. And even though I only tbought them it wasn’t good because they would affect my mood and I wasn’t proud of my thinking. Thank God thay we are works in progress! Thank you for this post.

13. Those three little questions are so important to remember. Here lately, I have had and expressed my cussing thoughts, I am ashamed to say. Those expressions condemn me more than the person I am directing them to. I can’t imagine what they do to the other person.

Thank you for sharing this story.

michelle says

Huh… I never knew what to call those thoughts. Thanks for the clarification, and encouragement.

Marla Shifflett says

Yes! Well written. Well said. Thank you for the thoughts (non-cussing, of course).

Andrea says

Oh, I love God’s timing. Just what I needed to remind me. :) Thank you!!

17. My, could I relate to this! Excellent read!!! Excellent writer!

Natalie says

I have found myself with cussing thoughts on several occasions, sad to say. Most of those times I’d like to think I transformed those into correcting thoughts, however that truly may not be the case. At this juncture in my life I am struggling with a trial that has gutted me like a fish and I fight not having the negative thoughts that honestly this situation warrants, or so I’ve told myself.
    Thank you for the push to continue to take every thought captive and to make them obedient. I choose to have Jesus thoughts and not cussing ones today.

Carolyn says

This is so true! I put your bullet points on a card to carry with me. I intend to refer to it when I hear those negative thoughts entering my mind. Truthfully going through these points provide a healing calmness – much better than counting to ten which just builds up steam!

Diane F. Chen says

We all have regrets about what comes out of our mouths that are unkind. This is because we think with emotion and not what God would do. I have regreted certain confrontations that have happened years ago about messages I have left and though there was no cussing the words were unkind. It is hard to forgive yourself but you must in order to move on. Just like it is important to forgive others. God first each day.

Nancy S. Smith says

this was so super-life’s journey with Jesus is just that. Allowing him to transform ones thinking and mind
    to reflect his pespective. Loved this!