PSALMS – A Book of Feelings

PsalmsIf you’ve felt it, you will find it addressed in the Book of Psalms.  Every human emotion, every ounce of pain, every longing, every sorrow and sadness, and every good and perfect feeling you’ve ever known is here.

The experience of life is recorded and nothing is spared.  When we read the Book of Psalms we feel understood – known – just as if God were acquainted with all our ways.  And indeed He is (Ps. 139:3).  We find wonderful comfort in these chapters, and our spirits are lifted just to know God meets us in our humanity and draws us to Himself.

What’s your favorite Psalm?

From Women of Faith Devotional Bible. (Thomas Nelson) Copyright © 2003. Used by permission.

Comments

Emily Kelly says

My favorite Psalm is chapter 20. I think it has everything I need in it, I read it when I need encouragement or help from the Lord or when my heart is crying out and I don’t have the words.
    It says…”The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee; Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion; Remember all thy offerings, and accept thy burnt sacrifice; Selah. Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfill all thy counsel. We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the Lord fulfill all thy petitions. Now know I that the Lord saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright. Save, Lord: let the king hear us when we call.” ` Psalm 20

Lynn says

Psalm 37:4- with a my heart!
    I call it my life scripture.

3. Psalms 100 has been my mainstain through out my life! It was the one the spoke strongest to me as a child and has never been replaced!

4. Psalm 23. My memory verse here is 4 – “Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and staff they comfort me.” Without Him being with me, I would not even be born in the first place because the attack my Mom received while I was still in the womb would have made the most righteous expectant Mom called for immediate abortion! Yet I was saved and He has continue to be with me through my so many darkest valleys in life.

Melanie says

Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”

6. It is difficult to pick a a favorite Psalm, but I think I would have to choose Psalm 91…mostly because I love the picture of safety in dwelling in the shelter of the Almighty, and the picture of God as a Momma Bird sheltering her babies.

Debbie Peach says

I enjoy the Psalms because David was just like me. Psalm 61, reminds me that God does hear my cry and He gives me a place to hide under His wings and He holds me when others have left me. I have learned that God is more than enough even in this fallen world.

8. Psalm 61 God is my Refuge
    This psalm has taught me that God does here my cry, He even provides a place for me to hide when life gets so painful-under His wings He holds me when others have left me. I have learned that God will always love me and will never leave me even in this fallen world.

Debby says

I use Psalm 86:1-13 every single day as my prayer. It pretty much covers all that I am going thru in my life. It helps get me started to get the words out. Found it when I was doing a “Read the Bible” in a year program.

• 12 months ago
      Carole Jones says

Thank you Debby, my eyes were drawn to v11 – Teach me your way ….give me an undivided heart!
      Carole

JUDITH DEMERS says

god bless to all of the WOMEN of faith.

Sunshine says

Psalm 16:8-11 A Poem of David

This Psalm really helps me when I am struggling which seems to be everyday lately. I have two kids who don’t want a relationship me because of my Christian beliefs and I’m caregiver to a mom with Alzheimer’s and a dad with Dementia and a brother who doesn’t support my sister and I. But I know God is good and He gives me strength and peace in what I am doing is His will not mine.

8 I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
    9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory [my inner self] rejoices; my body too shall rest and confidently dwell in safety,
    10 For You will not abandon me to Sheol (the place of the dead), neither will You suffer Your holy one [Holy One] to see corruption.
    11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.

Angela says

Psalm 27. It is my prayer of worship, requests and praises all in one

Annette Melville says

My favourite Psalm:46 – God has always been a very help to me in the time of trouble!

Pamela says

Psalm 139 (NIV)…all of it especially verses 13-14, 23-24
    13) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14) I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
    23) Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24) See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.