My Everything

MyEverythingCara is from Moore, Oklahoma. She calls May 20, the day the tornado hit, “the day that has changed every single thing I thought I knew about our lives and our faith.” After thinking “about a million times” about what to write about her experience, Cara says “I have decided to stop waiting for the perfect words—but to just open my heart to anyone who wants to read.” What follows is part of her story.

Never before have we truly appreciated the simple gift of being able to go to church and worship God. Earlier this week, Keagan asked, “Since we don’t have a house anymore, will we still go to church?” We looked at each other with tearful smiles and told him “YES, we will go to church because we can’t wait to go tell God ‘Thank You for rescuing us!’”

We sang a song that we have sung so many times before, but until tonight has never meant what it does to us. “Never once did we ever walk alone. Never once did You leave us on our own. You are faithful, God, You are faithful. Every step we are breathing in Your grace. Ever more we’ll be breathing out Your praise. You are faithful, God, You are faithful.”

This may sound really crazy to some, but we feel blessed to have had this happen to us.

Blessed? Why??

Because now we can stand and sing those lyrics, KNOWING what they mean. We walk around with our children, understanding what a MIRACLE life is. We can look into each other’s eyes and KNOW now more than ever that nothing on this planet can tear our marriage apart. We wake up and hear our two-year-old’s bare feet smacking the linoleum floor and we smile, even though it’s 6:15 in the morning and he should still be sleeping!

We feel sadness, believe it or not, for those who cannot see life in this way like we can now. We certainly never imagined that God would reveal Himself to us in THIS way, but we rejoice over it because we know Him more deeply now, more richly. When I woke up that Monday morning, He was my Savior. I loved Him then and wanted to live for Him. But today . . . today He is my everything.

Do You Have a Story to Share?

You may not have been through a tornado, but you probably have a story of how God is working in your life. We’d love to see it . . . and we might even use it in an upcoming Daily. Share your story here.

Comments

1. 1 year ago
    yvonne says

It is so awesome to trust God in the “tornadoes of Life”. Your story is an amazing source of strength for me to hear that you believed God to be in the midst of the tornado and that your faith was strengthened during this crisis. God bless you!

2. Many people in this area would say, and in their case truthfully so, that their lives were ruined by the May 20 tornado. I’m choosing a different word. My life was interrupted by the tornado. I hope that’s the case for many others as well. It would only be ruined if we never mentally get up out of the rubble and move on. My life was not ruined. I’ve been displaced, inconvenienced, jarred, and most certainly interrupted, but not ruined. Then again, sometimes an interruption is what it takes for us to once again give God our full attention. Although next time, perhaps not this big of an interruption would suffice?

• Amen, Cyndi. He’s been so good to us. I can hardly even count all the ways in which He has rescued us, begun to restore us, and heal us.

3. 1 year ago
    Cheryl says

What an annointed message and great encouragement. It is hard at times to see the hand of God in the difficult moments, but to grasp His goodness during it is a gift indeed.

4. 1 year ago
    Christie says

God Bless you and your family for sharing that story. We get caught up in our own issues that we forget the importance of thanking God for what He gives us. I am truly Blessed each and every day. I have had some rough times these several past years, but I know that I could have not been able to come through it without the help and strength from the Lord, each and everyday. He will never leave us or forsake us. May God continue to strengthen you and guide you each day.

5. Talk about being stupid and disobedient… That was me. I had been married 36 yrs to a man who was passive aggressive in a very big way.(didnt know what it was called till later in life). I cried every day of our life. I tried to talk to him numerous times and he would make fun of me. To make a long story short..i found someone that claimed to be a Christian and I believed him. He said all the right things. I had no hope in my marriage so I went for it. (I really only wanted my own husband to love me) My family found out (two girls) and all went haywire. I knew I didnt even like this man but too late. My husband starting dating a lady friend. (He was always a ladies man) and it nearly killed me. I lost weight and didn’t even know I was.
    After 40 yrs ,and then we split up. I couldn’t handle he was dating.
    Now to the good part. God was with me all the time. I tripped and fell a couple of times. He allowed me not to be killed. I almost ran into the side of another car. God saved me from that. I don’t deserve God’s love at all but praise his name.. He didn’t let me die in my sins.
    I hope someone is reading this and this saves them from doing the stupid thing I did. It isn’t worth disobeying God no matter how much you hurt.
    There has to be a better way. My girls blame me cause I was first, supposedly. We reap what we sow. But I do so much love God and have never been so close to HIM in my life. So I cling to Romans 8:28.
    I still don’t know what a better answer is but I know if you are contemplating such a stupid act. Ask God first to help you handle it. Please.. I beg of you.

• sorry .. I think I may shared my story in the wrong place..Didn’t mean to do that…I thank God for all Christian women who love HIM.

• 1 year ago
      yvonne says

Well I can relate to the guy coming as a Christian thing! When you are in a “bad” marriage you tend to be vulnerable and even idealize that there must be someone out there who is really loving God and hopefully loving you even though you know it is wrong to hope for this when you are still married. But our flesh tells us it feels ok and God want us to be happy. In fact it is the devil designing the whole thing as in my case many years ago a similar situation occurred and like you I fell for it. Ironically though when I look back in retrospect I can see how the enemy used his(the other man)words to deceive me. I know there is a happy ending for us because we are in a wonderful marital relationship with Jesus Christ. . We are the bride of Christ!

• Thank you for replying Yvonne. It was good to hear from you. So thankful not to be alone out there. If that makes any sense. So often I wish God wouldnt have allowed me to do what I did due to the heartache after. I hurt lots of people. I still kick myself over & over …which you probably do too. At my age I still cling to Romans 8:28. If God wants me to be alone the remainder of my life. I plan to be ok with it. Of course only with HIS help!! I pray the best for you too.

• 12 months ago
          Linda Crutchfield says

sometimes the free will our Lord God gave us when HE created us is the one thing that enables us to get into unhealthy situations, that and not spending time in HIS word. We think we can live our lives and do everything right without his loving guidance. I thank my heavenly Father for parents who took me to church so I could know HIM and understand that “this life” is not all there is. We all use less than good judgement at some point in our lives, and the good thing is HE forenew each and every one of us. He knew we would make mistakes, but HE loves us anyway. I’ve made my mistakes and I’ve learned many things the hard way from them, but I gladly take HIM at HIS word. My mistakes and my sins were forgiven when God allowed his son Jesus to hang on that cross and die for my sins, then God brought Jesus back to life and he walked with the likes of you and I…right here on this earth. So I believe my sins, all of them, are forgiven, and no one can ever change that. I’ve learned over the years that my days go better when I check in with HIM each morning, spend a little time in His mighty word. When I do that and the hurtful, bad stuff comes my way I remember who is in charge and give it to Him. No matter what happens around me and or what the world thinks of me, first and foremost I am forgiven, I am a child of God and I will spend eternity with the Lord Jesus Christ. HIS word says so. I always remember that, no matter what comes my way.

6. 1 year ago
    Pamyla DeWitt says

This is beautiful! My husband recently graduated to Heaven and I can so relate to this story! Thank you for sharing! I cannot imagine going through this without God. I pray for those who do not know Him!

• Thank you, Pamyla. My heart hurts for you right now, too. Yes, how could we go through these moments of ache and desperation without God?

7. 1 year ago
    Deb says

I can relate to Cara’s story in so many ways. My youngest grandson was diagnosed, before birth, with a congenital heart defect. The news was hard to take and when the doctor asked my daughter and her husband if they planned to continue the pregnancy, I was so proud of their response. They responded with an immediate yes of course. Every child is a gift from God and He has a purpose for this child. Jerron although only four months old at this time, has touched so many lives and changed our prospective tremendously. At the time some trials may be difficult for us to understand and we may question God on why He allowed us to endure the hard times. In these times though, God’s mighty power is revealed to us and He reminds us that He is in control and walks with us each step of the way. He is reminding us of what things in life are truly important and what we need to set our focus on. Thank you for sharing your personal experience of God’s AWESOMENESS and may God continue to reveal Himself to you and bless you and your precious family!

• Deb, thank you. And thank you for sharing your story as well. I’m so glad He walks with us every step of the way, too!

8. 1 year ago
    lecrecia says

I feel too that god had other choices for me even after I was an addict for so many long years. I was suffering back then. after all my drug overdoses repeatly god saved me and I didn’t die. I may have lost all my possessions over and over again. been hurt in so many ways. I still didn’t die. if it wasn’t for god and my first pregnancy and being tired of using I went cold turkey and finally gave it all up and gave in.ive been clean for 11and half years now. I am a stay at home mom now w/ a total of 3 kids now been married for 5 years the same man that also gave me all my wonderful boys.. and ive learned that god has been w/ me this whole time. and he never left me. he had things that were meant to be in my life.and do. god bless me and all my family!!!