YesDon’t you love the word yes? It’s so joyful and cooperative, and it’s such a door opener. Just saying “yes” can make us and others smile. Try it. Say it out loud. See. You smiled, didn’t you? Yes has its roots in happy. And who doesn’t need more of both?

Yes can be a skylight for the soul, it can aerate our attitudes, and it can be a bridge over misunderstanding. Yes is a seal of approval, an Enter Here sign, a “permission granted” document. Yes is powerful, permissive, and pleasing . . . most of the time. . . .

[A] huge yes in my life was when my heart opened to having God’s truth as my guiding counsel. For years I was stuck in an emotional whirlpool, and it wasn’t until I was being sucked under by a wave of desperation that my cry for help changed. Instead of expecting God to fix me, I told him I would do whatever he asked of me. From that time forward my life changed as I stopped talking about what I believed and began living it. It was as if yes unlocked a door within me. And I began a purposed study of God’s Word and how to walk in it.

The first thing that I did was get out of bed, get dressed, and start functioning in my home. I began putting others’ needs ahead of my fears, which were multiple, and I created new tapes for my mind. By that I mean my thought life was a tangle of negativity and criticism, so I began to memorize God’s Word to repair misconceptions and maligning attitudes. I was awash in darkened thought cycles, so I chose verses that brought them into the light of truth.

For instance, I had a wretched view of my worth, so I began bathing my mind in Psalm 139. It was hard to believe that God was present when I was being knit together in my mother’s womb, that I pleased him, and that he loved me. I began rehearsing these truths, especially when I was in another tirade at myself and making scathing judgments like, “You are so stupid,” “You are so ugly,” “You can’t do anything right,” “Nobody likes you.” It takes effort to change destructive habits, so don’t be disheartened when you slip back into an old pattern. Extend grace and mercy to yourself . . . God does. Then begin again choosing life.

My mental health recovery started with a yes to God and to myself. The Lord invites us to be a part of our recovery. So don’t sit and wait for God to fix you; instead, get up and say yes to the Lord, to the new day, and to yourself.

Does that sound too simple? Too Pollyanna? Too  rah, rah, shish koom bah? Trust me, I know how hard it is to change a lifestyle, a mind-set, and a belief system, because I have been in process for almost fifty years. I’ve never worked harder, and I’m still not done. No one is. None of us outgrows our need for assistance. I understand the toil and time involved in the tempering of a heart and the transforming of a mind, and I can say with a resounding yes! That it’s worth the effort. Saying yes to Jesus was the path that led me to personal dignity, integrity, and to believing I had a God-given destiny.

By the way, set attainable goals so you don’t position yourself to fail. Don’t sabotage your own progress. Be sure to congratulate yourself for even small steps in the right direction. Be a cheerleader for yourself and others. This will take practice.

Yes is a radical word . . . . So be rad and go yes your world!

book-twirl_patsyAn original Women of Faith speaker, Patsy Clairmont combines a quick and depth of biblical knowledge in a powerful, pint-sized package. A recovering agoraphobic with a pronounced funny bone, Patsy speaks to women from all walks of life. Patsy and her husband, Les, live in Tennessee. Take a little stroll with Patsy Clairmont through Twirl, and allow her unique perspective and deep well of biblical wisdom to realign your spin on life.

Excerpted from Twirl ©2013 Patsy Clairmont (Thomas Nelson). Used by permission.

Comments

Marjean Gabelhausen says

I always love Patsy’s comments – and this one is another great one – saying YES, and being joyful and cooperative – Love It ! She is such a positive person and having a victory over the problems she faced in her life.

I have been reading “The Women of Faith Devotional” every day ever since 2002, writing my comments here and there at the bottom of the page – and have given the book to many of my friends and family over the years. It gives me strength every day. Thank you “Women of Faith Ladies” – for all of the wonderful work you do.

Debbie says

This is so easy to forget and so enlightening to remember! Thanks Patsy-

Jennifer says

Patsy,

Those are the EXACT words that I struggle against daily. I do not fear leaving my house but feel like I am still not living up to the destiny God has for me. It’s overwhelming to think that God created me piece by piece and I please Him and He chose me and delights in me. Everyday I try to believe those things . Thank you for sharing Patsy!!

CJ says

Praise God for putting this blog in my inbox today, because I sure needed it… especially:
    ► “… don’t be disheartened when you slip back into an old pattern. Extend grace and mercy to yourself . . . God does.”
    and
    ► “… set attainable goals so you don’t position yourself to fail. Don’t sabotage your own progress. Be sure to congratulate yourself for even small steps in the right direction.”

June Clevenger says

I have been coming to W.O.F. for years and years, and now it’s a ritual/tradition for my daughter and myself to go. You, Patsy , always touched me where I live. I didn’t get to see you last time in Indy. You can’t ever retire. You must do this forever. TOO many people love you.

6. How do I even start changing my life like this if I don’t believe I’m worth it?

• 3 months ago
      Lauren says

“Lord, as Jane takes time to pour her heart out to You and read Your Word, may she hear Your voice and feel Your loving, healing, comforting embrace. Thank You, JESUS, for all You are doing in Jane’s life! Your are good and faithful and our eyes are on You!”

7. This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. Very encouraging. Especially when the author has done the work herself.

Norma says

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to take the same steps. When I studied The Bible and listened to Pastor Vandeman I finally realized that God loved me and valued me. That changed my whole life. Praise His Name!

Jennifer says

Jane Chase, get in the word and read about how much God loves you. Start with psalm 139 that Patsy listed . Speak it back to God . Also see Jeremiah 1:5. Pray that God will reveal to you how He sees you.

Dana says

Thank you Patsy. I am sure you have received a huge response to this message and each one filled with love and hope, I just want to Thank You for you insight and faithfulness. You are such an inspiration to me every time I see, hear, or read your words of incredible wisdom. Today’s meditation has again given me hope and the knowledge that I am Truly Loved by my Father.

Kelly Smith says

Thank you for sharing this. I was going through my old email, that I hadn’t filed yet. I found this, and i usually don’t read all of these but this made me stop for some reason – God pressed a need to read it. It was perfect! For five weeks now, my life is changed, I too have been struggling with my mental health (most of my life – severely) and asking why, and trying to control every little aspect of it to the best of my ability. Instead of asking God to control it or to take it away. Now I get up in the morning and hit my knees, I read the Bible daily, I exercise for 45 minutes or more a day and during that time I listen to songs of worship and I clear my mind completely of the day stresses and I let God talk to me. And through this obedience and ways of action, God has lead me into a new way of life. It’s not an emotional roller coaster or high, like I usually feel when hit with the Spirit. But it is a life change. And I know I’m in obedience, and my thoughts about things have changed, like my day doesn’t have to be so stressful, and I can take the moments and enjoy them… Along with other things that are being revealed. God has also led me to a new church where I am taking my son and hopefully he will be able to plant some roots and develop relationships…. Please let me know of any contests or times when your book might be going on sale. This sounds like what I’m experiencing, and it would-be great to hear what you have gone through!

Blessings,