God, Grant Me Serenity

SerenityWhen I was a much younger woman, right after I accepted the Lord at the age of twenty, I went to college on a music scholarship and sang with an incredible show band. Life was good. I loved my school. I loved the kids on campus. I loved music. I loved being young and free.

I remember saying, “I’m going to meet a fabulous man with all these certain qualities, we’re going to fall deeply in love, I’ll be married before the age of twenty-five, I’ll have two children before I’m thirty, and life will be almost perfect. We won’t have financial problems, and we’ll all be in church and live the great American dream. I’ll be a stay-at-home mom with a perfect house and home-cooked meals every night. We’ll have a beautiful family and lots of friends.” And do you know what? It happened just as I said it would. Everything fell right into place.

But the divorce wasn’t part of the story I’d written out for myself. In fact, it changed everything else about my story. I’ve cried enough tears to fill Lake Michigan. I’ve worried to the extent of having to repent of it frequently because worry has become somewhat of an idol. And I’ve prayed my guts out asking God why.

My friend, it’s just life. Everybody has their stuff. All you can do is pray and love God with all your heart, do the next right thing, and then stand in full surrender. Stand on the Word. Stand on His promises. Stand next to Him. When you stumble, He holds your hand and dusts you off and helps you get back up. And with His help, you put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

I’d like to tell you about a couple of friends of mine. Jan had been living a vibrant life with her very successful husband. She had been experiencing some pain and numbness, and after a series of tests, she was diagnosed with a neurological disease. Instead of looking at how bad that could be, she looked at what she had going for her and became proactive in managing this disease. I rarely hear her talk about her disease, and she’s always doing something that makes a difference in other people’s lives or pursuing things she loves, like writing and art. She’s approaching her seventies and still sees a world of possibilities in front of her. She works with her illness and doesn’t let it dominate her life or define who she is.

I have another friend, Karen. Karen has been successful for much of her life. She was an entertainer for a long time, created her own magazine, and is an optimist. After her husband passed, she was diagnosed with an arthritic condition that keeps her hobbling around much of the time. She uses a cane and sometimes even a scooter to get around. Karen loves to travel, and she hasn’t let her condition stop her from doing what she loves. She has been all over the world in the last fifteen years, by herself, and she’s seventy-six years old. She always has a smile on her face.

Both Jan and Karen accepted their reality and played the good cards to create happy, healthy lives. Their debilitations don’t dominate their lives. That is the common ground between both these friends. They’re upbeat and positive. I love associating with people who have this attitude. . . .

In the Serenity Prayer, we ask for wisdom. It’s one of the finest things we can ask God for. The Word of God tells us that if we pray for wisdom, God will surely give it to us: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5 NKJV). This is a promise we can count on.

So I leave you with this visual. Imagine a beautiful bracelet with these links: forgiveness links to acceptance, which links to surrender, which links to serenity—and all these things link to a happy, healthy life.

And please take heart. It doesn’t matter what your circumstances are now or how old you are. Life is full of options at every stage.

Comments

Tammy Groves says

I thank God for leading me to this article. My heart is broken, I do not trust my Husband in anyway. Your words “Everybody has their stuff. All you can do is pray and Love God with all your heart, do the next right thing, and then stand in full surrender. Stand on the word. Stand on his promises, Stand next to Him. When you stumble, He holds your hand and dusts you off and helps you get back up, and with His help, you put one foot in front of the other and keep on going.” I needed this. I need to pray for Wisdom, wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen my heart. Thank you

opal says

I love this story gives me inspiration with all my health disabilities’
    I want a closer walk with God’

3. Thank you so much for these Godly words of wisdom. I just lost my husband after 34yrs of marriage he died Jan.1 2014 at the age of 54. Praise God I know he is with the Saviour. But I could use Prayer as I close out r part of our Business Partnership with his brother an sister in law she is very controling. Thanks so much! Tamera

Mary says

Thanks so much for this blog today… Have had things happen and have tried to stay strong.
    Today, the enemy was trying yo make me start having a pity party.
    Then your e-mail showed up.. so needed I felt that God wanted to show me. Thanks for writing this for
    so many people sees everyone has been there.
    Thank you so much for all you do. God Bless.

Suzanne Rowan says

Amen! Connie – Thank you for this very timely, much needed message today!

6. This article just summed life up for me in a few words: praise him, serve him and allow him to give us the wisdom to get through the day. Thank you for putting it in writing and be an inspiration for all of us! Praise God

noire says

This article has helped me a lot. Hope that I can can get over with my situation and move on with my life. God bless!

Maria Pilar Reyes says

Thank you for this inspiring blog – it has comforted and inspired me where I’m at right now.

Tamaya Tate says

This is truly a beautiful post! Thank you very much for sharing it! You are truly an inspiration. May God bless you and all your readers.

10. I praise God for this article . It has inspired and helped me have a better attitude towards my limitations and disease. In the past 5 years first I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s , later I broke my hip and a year latter I fell and sustained 3 pelvic fractures. There very bad days but all in all God has been good to me and whatever days I have left in this world I will praise God and live to the fullest. Ethel

11. Thank you for sharing this article. It has truly put a smile on my heart. I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease in 2012. I’m in pain everyday and have to be careful how I move around with my back. This article has given me the inspiration and will power to continue no matter what. Thank you again for sharing this story!

Kathy says

Okay, I just read this wonderful post and I’m wondering who is going to make that beautiful bracelet (literally). I’ll buy it. Right now I wear a necklace that has the words (Beyond, Beyond) written on it. It refers to the scripture Ephesians 3:20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations [a]forever and ever. Amen. It is a visual to remind me of God’s power working in me. So, Women of Faith, I want to see a bracelet made, okay?

• 5 months ago
      Laura says

Kathy is right. We need a bracelet. I don’t even usually wear jewelry, but this is a GRAND IDEA!! A Constant reminder!!