In Spite Of It All

InSpiteofitAllI’m a registered nurse in a small community hospital. I call myself a “late bloomer,” being brought to my career a little later in life than many others. Up to a couple of years ago, you couldn’t have found anyone who was more in love with what they were doing, or where they were working. I felt profoundly used by God to impact lives. But changes in management and changes in computer systems and governmental and regulatory agencies are taking me farther and farther away from my first love: the patients I’m supposed to care for.

Morale has plummeted in the workplace, and I was swept along with it. Often I found myself right there, complaining with everyone else. At my lowest point, I questioned whether I still believed in what I was doing.

My greatest blessing came through my husband, who has his own workplace difficulties in a public school. He reminded me that the Lord is quite capable of taking any circumstances and bringing about the good for His glory. He advised me to pray, asking God who sees all and knows all to show me if I was still accomplishing His work. And He answered me abundantly.

I cared for a well-loved Christian woman who had a flood of visitors, many who pointed me out specifically, saying, “We know her. She’s a good nurse, and you are in good hands.” Then another patient said, “Oh, good! I was hoping you’d be here. You are my favorite. You took such good care of me last time.”

Then the Spirit prompted me to encourage other co-workers in the same way, reminding them that, although the system is terribly broken, they need to constantly look for the ways they are positively impacting people. Even those who work behind the scenes, because without them, the hospital couldn’t operate. Each patient has family and friends, and the benefits multiply exponentially. Loaves and fishes!

This applies no matter what you do, or where you work. Give the little you have, with a willing heart, for the glory of God, and it will be enough.

NOTE: Connie first submitted her story some time ago, so we contacted her recently to see how things were going. Here’s her response:

I would not say morale has really improved, but God has such a great way of using the negative to bring about the positive. As a result of what’s happening, I’ve seen my own attitude brought to light, have begun to talk about it openly and how I feel I am “toxic” sometimes, and have begun to ask my trusted co-workers to help hold me accountable if I get too close to the edge.

That, in turn, has led to a greater awareness of how many believers I actually work with. We are holding each other up in prayer, and I consider the people I work with as my “mission field” like never before. Whether we know it or not, we are all witnessing to the unbelievers among us, and it is my fervent prayer and belief that the Lord is going to use this to pull them in as well.

Comments

Sheila says

Well, I just wanted to let you all know the impact Connie’s post had on my week. I went our of my way to speak with others at work, to “engage” others in conversation. That had a very positive impact on my own self worth as an employee. Also, I had to call a few patients who had been difficult on the phone and I had to resolve their problems. I sat, prayed, asked Jesus to give me the words and attitide I needed. Well, He was obviously listening to little ole me. I was able to turn some attitudes and fix the problems at hand. I sat there in wonder as I basked in His glory. Onto another week of challenges ahead, but knowing my God is there beside me, well, we can do anything. Bless you all, and thank you for your posts.

Becky says

Wow! I am so blessed to have had a great friend who invited me to a conferrence to hear Lysa. As a result I have been renewed in my relationship with God. Praise him.
    So as i was reading some posting (which I find so rewarding and inspirational) I found this one. I too am a RN in a small community hospital feeling and seeing to same challenges. I continued to pray about my concerns, decisions, the hospital, and my co-workers. I have been granted a new position which has lead me into a new path of hathcare (one I have never considered or experienced) and behold renewed in my career! I feel we have so much in common but the best we have in common is God. We put him first and know he is in control. He has the plan. Keeping our “eye on the master”.

Marie says

Thank you. This touched me and encouraged me. I work for a major retail company, and I struggle very much with integrity and lack of concern for people. I appreciated the sharing of your struggle and your reminder to focus on how God is capable of bringing good out of any circumstances.

Bonnie Van Aller says

I JUST WANT TO SAY…PRAISE GOD!! I read this story and broke down and cried. I am this exact person down to the nurse who is in management. I too have been feeling this. Thank you so much!! I can only praise you God!! It is so amazing to me how this has affected me and made me aware of what God wants me to continue my work!! Thank you!

Heather says

I am in the exact same boat but in a different lake. I am a teacher and changes in the system have me doing more paperwork than teaching. I still and always will love the children but they are also becoming more difficult. I have thought about how I can change my life to find more enjoyment in my job. Thank you for the inspiration. I really need it.

Tina Loman says

I have several family members and friends who are nurses and I know they can all relate to this. For myself, I can relate to the patient who was happy to have that certain nurse. I have had to be in the hospital several different times and I am always happy when I get the nurses that I know are going to be cheerful, kind, and not make me feel like I am a bother to them. ( I have had some like that before) There are also the ones who will go that extra step to make you feel special. I always make it a point to tell those nurses how much how they take care of me means to me.

Sheila says

Oh, you don’t know how much I needed to read your words today. I, too, am a nurse, working in a large private practice with 18 providers. My work is calling patients with pathology results, among many other things. I really love the work, but the documentation and paper work can be overwhelming. Of late, I’ve felt sort of distanced from others at work and not sure why. I’ve been praying for God to show me what is causing this (maybe I’m not engaging others like I should). There is tremendous satisfaction in knowing that even my phone calls can make a difference with patients. Sometimes the stacks of reports can be daunting but I have to remind myself that patients are eagerly awaiting their results and I can be the reassuring person on the other end of the call. Thanks for the message and the reminder…best of luck and God’s grace be with you.

Sharon Holland says

Like Connie, I’m an RN, and have often wondered if I’m doing the Lord’s will, especially when morale in the workplace is down. But, I am surrounded by believers, and we support each other in our goal of excellent patient care. I receive positive affirmation from patients who I’ve cared for, as well as from colleagues. I pray each day that I will do HIS will, and trust that HE will steer me in the right direction!