Trusting God with the What Ifs

whatifs“God is supernaturally tuned in to our frequency. His blazing eyes take in our slightest stir. His holy ears prick at our softest whisper. Better still, He’s in close proximity when we cry.” –Lisa Harper

Life is littered with what ifs.

What if there’s not enough money? Or resources to go around? Or the economy doesn’t improve? What if the person we’ve trusted breaks her promise? Or doesn’t fulfill his commitment? Or drops the ball completely? What if our health begins to fail? Or our loved ones pass away? Or we find ourselves alone?

Uncertainty surrounds us. The possibility of change can raise endless what if questions, causing us to worry. We all face legitimate challenges that need to be overcome, but whenever we allow fear to take to root, we create space for worry and anxiety to set up shop in our lives. Once they begin working, they don’t want to stop.

Given enough time, worry can strangle the life out of us. In fact, the origin of the word worry when it first appeared in Old English meant “to strangle.” Over the centuries, it transitioned to mean “to bite and shake,” much like a dog treats a rubber toy. Eventually the word was understood as “to harass or vex.” In the early nineteenth century, worry adopted its more modern meaning, “to make (or to be) persistently anxious.”

Worry can cause us to lose touch with reality and move further and further from the truth.

Jesus knew this. Maybe that’s one reason why time and time again He told the disciples to “Fear not!” Jesus never wanted us to be controlled by worry and anxiety but instead wanted us to be marked by faith and trust. Jesus recognized that worry has a way of subtracting God from the scene and making us believe we’re responsible for holding all things together.

We will never get rid of all the what ifs in life, but when they come, we can rest assured that we do not meet them alone. God is with us. We can choose to face uncertainty with faith and begin to walk in greater levels of confidence, contentment, joy, peace, security, and calmness.

From Overcoming Worry © 2013 Margaret Feinberg (Thomas Nelson) Used with permission. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Thank you for the reminder. Today I am feeling somewhat depress but with Christ I can do all things. Worry is life sucking and what if is draining. I choose to have faith in God’s plans for me.

Nikki says

What ifs are nothing but an opportunity to renew your faith and possibility…

Madison Castle says

Thank you so much for this post. My life has been full of what ifs lately. Even though I know there is a plan, I have had no hope in coping with the things happening in my life right now. I have been praying and trying to see what god is trying to show me, for a 17 year old, it is hard to be patient. I know God is with me through , but I can not help but feel alone. I have made choices that I would give anything to take back. The what ifs surrounding these mistakes have left me in a whirlwind of confusion and sadness. I keep reminding myself that Jesus said ‘fear not”; however, this is very hard to do sometimes. If anyone has some advice, or prayers i would love to hear them . Thank you again for your post.

4. There was a time in my life when I worried, and would pray about something, then if it wasn’t ‘fixed’ or ‘answered’ in a little while, I’d pick it back up and think “Well obviously I have to DO THIS TOO!” I never left things for God to answer!! In 2 years of time (2009-2011) I lost everything. I was so happily married to the man of my dreams, had a fantastic job, my health was nearly perfect – and I lost it all! Long story, but I came out of my office one day to find my new car gone, and my husband of 9 months had left taking all but the $6 in my pocket, bank acct. drained and overdrawn! I’ve never seen him again! Before I could start to rebuild, my high-paying job was ‘restructured’ and gone. I went from being very comfortable and successful to HUNGERY and on unemployment. Then my health began to fail, and I found myself in Intensive Care barely alive. Ladies, I learned valuable lessons through those times – God has us in his arms, if we believe. We can’t fix or change anything really. Faith is taking the first step even when we can’t see the whole staircase. And literally, if we can’t control it – we need to let go and let God work his plan. Now, I never worry about anything. It has made me stronger, happier, and I have truly learned the meaning of “Waiting on the Lord”. I pray those going through worry and divorce will learn to let go and let God – he knows so much better than we do, what we need.

Prudence says

Thank u so much, indeed God has an answer always for every situation. I was so stressed just now and worried about a situation here at work, but after reading this post I feel much better. thank you

sarah says

Amen. Thank you for the word. This is a very difficult area of our life to deal with. It does require faith and literally taking God at His word and knowing no matter what that He is faithful! And 7 years after my divorce and living without a husband and 2 small boys, I have found He is! He has brought me through and continues to provide in ways that only He can. My life is blessed. Its all for His Glory that we endure the ‘what ifs’ when they happen because they cause us to seek Him and ultimately learn to allow His Will to unfold in us. I am starting my own business, living rent freye and have become good friends with my ex. My children’s schooling provided for and they’re growing up in the Lord. Only trusting in God leads to success and peace and in all things He is working something good! Just hang onto Him.

Lisa says

Thank you!

Chevy1 says

Am going through aLOT of What-Ifs now -Wondering if this divorce will ever end after almost a year, Wondering about being alone after so many years together, or not enough money to live on as a single person? It seems every day a new opportunity for worry crops up and my spirit seems to sag again into deep worry about the future and what it holds for me. BUT having these readings to follow once again reminds me I’m NOT alone, that GOD is with me every step of the way; that HE wants the best for us. I have to remember to not lose my faith in GOD and trust that HE will see me through all of this to the end. For HE knows better than me what the future plan for my life will be. Thanks for being there to help keep me grounded in God’s love for us.

• 4 months ago
      Stacey M says

Going through a divorce of almost 2 years myself,I understand the what ifs and uncertain future of starting again, finances , and the daunting prospect off dating at some point.after it was all said and done,I felt struck: nothing was different, my routine was the same,and I felt as though would be inn the same place indefinitely. I was also getting anxious about my future that I can’t see and spinning myself into endless frustration. BUT GOD had taught me so much in thus process, and I’ve learned to release mutt future and my worries to Him daily and that it’s a choice that I gave to actively make when fear begin s to creep in. Hold on to Gods hand-He will use this to sculpt you into His beautiful masterpiece. I Ann often reminded that He remembers every detail of m life and nothing is overlooked our forgotten-every tear and painful moment He’s there inn the middle out out all and He wants to carry the burden of our all off we meet Him. From our brokenness comes healing,one day at a time. Stay faithful :)

Karen says

Boy can I relate! Being a bit of a control freak, it’s easy to forget that I’m not alone in calling the shots! Thanks for the reminder. I do try to leave the future to God, but not always easy. But I keep praying!

Stacy says

Some times it just not that easy. I just celebrated my one year of being breast cancer free. But it’s hard not to worry that I could come back at any time.. I wish there was a way they could check my whole body at least once a year to see but they can’t or they won’t because CT are too dangerous. So this forces me to trust The Lord. Yesterday in church I was told I just need to have faith and to trust. Then I heard this scripture John 20:29 How blessed are those who do not see, but trust anyway!” I’m going to keep trusting that I have zero cancer in my body.

• Stacy, God bless you! What a trial you have been through. I know the fear of your cancer returning must weigh heavy on you. Please know that by worrying it only causes stress on your body. Telling someone not to worry is like saying you must worry. The best advice to be had is to enjoy every minute of cancer free life and trust that God will keep you that way. I pray that one day the healing hand of God waves over the medical field and leads to a cure for this horrible disease. May God bless you and keep you strong.

• 4 months ago
        Stacy says

Nana,
        Thank you for your words of wisdom and prayer for continued healing. I will trust The Lord.

11. Love your post! Worrying is like planting a seed that takes deep root in our mind, body, and soul. It grows and grows and pulls the nourishment we need to sustain life from our body. By trusting in God we are able to stay stronger and much healthier. Thank you for sharing!

nkayi abadian chiameh says

Please any time i read from you people i am move.I wish one day you invite me to parttake in any of your programm.