A Dream Come True

ADreamComeTrueSerena Bonzo Miller had a hope and a dream nearly 25 years ago. The minister’s wife, then in her early 40s, felt a strong nudge and tug to pursue a career as a writer but she didn’t know how or where to begin.

ADreamComeTrue_author“I had always written journals or short stories, so it was something I always thought about but kept it on the shelf while I was helping my husband raise our three sons and serve in various churches in Michigan and Ohio,” Serena recalled recently. “Once I decided I wanted to try to be published, I was pretty much clueless how to start. I asked anyone I knew who wrote for living what they’d suggest I do. Everyone was encouraging, and most of them said the same thing—just start writing and submitting.”

And so began Serena’s long, arduous journey of penning articles, sending to publications and receiving rejection letters. Finally in 1994, after dozens of failures, the Detroit Free Press Magazine picked up one of her pieces. It was a red-letter day in her then fledgling career that she has never forgotten.

“I was hooked,” she remembers. “To see something I had written in print was an incredible feeling, and I knew this was what I wanted to do. I started writing even more, and soon I started working on my first manuscript.” More article submissions followed, with increased success and recognition in such publications as Reader’s DigestGuidepostsFocus on the FamilyWoman’s World and Christian Woman, to name a few. She realized the dream’s next big step in 2010 when her first novel, Love Finds You In Sugarcreek, Ohio, was published.

Now 64, Serena was 60 years old when that first book rolled off the presses. She believes her late-life success is not only a testament that God answers prayers, but it proves that the old adage “it’s never too late” is true.

“It’s been an amazing journey for my family and me, to see how prayer and encouragement have led to this moment,” she said. “I never in my wildest dreams ever envisioned one of my books being made into a movie, but we’re just days away from it happening. It’s very humbling.”

Serena’s first book (she has since published several more) is the basis for the new UP Original Movie Love Finds You In Sugarcreek, premiering Sunday, June 1 at 7 PM ET / 8 PT.

Watch the Trailer for Love Fines You In SugarCreek:

Comments

Connie Hendryx says

Sounds like a great book! I wish we were able to see the UP channel….oh well….

Lori Rupp says

Missed the opportunity to watch on June 1st and hoping it’s on Demand. If not would definitely be inspired from reading the book as God continues to write his story out for my life.

Pat Hill says

What a journey. Never heard of the movie – but, would love to see it. Thanks, for your story.
    God Bless

Trish Cordell says

Just goes to show you…never give up!! Thanks for such an inspirational story!! Blessings to you and you’re family!!

Pat Peppard says

Thank you for your story. what an encouragement. Congratulations and so excited for you!
    I am 59 and for as long as I can remember I wanted to be a christian writer and speaker to women. I have done some speaking but do not know where to start with the writing although I have bits and pieces of articles in a file and on my Iphone. I sometimes think God calls us older gals because we needed some life experiences to draw from.

6. Serena, Thank you for being so encouraging to other women that it’s never too late. That God keeps his promise and in His time because He knows beginning to end. I love to write and have been since I was about 10 yrs old but only in journals. It has always been my escape to clear my mind and it’s my passion. When I was 15 I heard God say you will write a book. I’m 40 now and I have only written one page but I know one day it will happen. My desire is to be a journalist or motivational speaker to work n EN in churches and companies. ..So I thank you for sharing your passion to write. ..

7. This was such an inspiring story, and so similar to my own. I put the quote by George Eliot, “It’s never too late to become what you might have been,” on my wall when I started college at 51-years-old. I am now a psychotherapist (and a writer) in private practice, even though a supposedly inoperable brain tumor threatened to stop me on this journey (God had other plans, as he obviously did with Serena!). Thanks for sharing this Serena. I have articles published but am working on my first book. You have given me even more reason to hope.

Cheri says

This is wonderful, cant wait to see the movie. I never get my fill of Christian women sharing their stories. I was fortunate to see another author two nights ago. She too began writing & was published later in life but WOW! what a testimony! Journey To Freedom by Charlotte J Marky. When this sweet soft spoken woman recalls her young life & her journey from Hungary that began in Feb.1957 to America (via refugee camps & eventually to the Haven of Rest in Akron, OH) she speaks of God’s AMAZING GRACE on her life, you can “see” it in her face & hear it in her voice. It is her experience come to life and all to the glory of the Father.

9. Thanks for your post. I am in my 50′s and in the blogging business.

10. BRAVO!!! Love hearing stories of perseverance and triumph! I admire your faith and continuing to stay obedient in your calling! I am just starting my career out as a coach, and much of my voice is shared and expressed through words. It’s comforting to see strong women like you paving the path for my generation! Looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

Peggy Haines says

Sarah! I am very happy for you that you have reached a dream and that you had the courage to
    go after it and not give up. You are an inspiration for me and for all women in the 60 plus age
    group. There are ladies in my coffee group at church you have taken up painting late in life and
    are creating beautiful pictures of still lifes, nature, etc. and photo displays of trips to Jersuelem
    showing us spots where Jesus taught and met with his disciples. My congratulations to them
    as well. Keep up the wonderful work, and best of luck with the movie. I will watch for it.

Peggy Haines

Stephanie says

Hi Serena,
    Rejoicing with you at the moving of God’s hand in your talents… and a movie, even! I am also 62 and waiting for His special move. I am holding onto the story of Peter and the draw of fishes. They fished all night, but at Jesus’ word, their all-night efforts were surpassed in a moment. How exciting is walking alongside our loving God. Too old never works when talking about doing something for God, because when He steps onto the scene, things happen in leaps and bounds.

13. I was in my seventies when I finally let my thoughts flow through my fingers and become written words. In my mid seventies I began to create jewelry as art, and now I have a nice little business. Late in life God allowed the unique way he fashioned me to shine through. Why so late? I don’t know or care; I just enjoy each day he gives me by exposing those things He knew were there all of the time. We celebrate together!

Maria Brown says

Very good! Thanks for the inspiration.

Bonnie Traher says

Never too late.

Gail Kupec says

Congratulations Serena!

I don’t know you, but I felt your joy when I read about your journey, and I’m so happy for you!

It’s also an encouragement to me as a 62 year old that “it’s never too late!”

Loretta says

it look like a good emotional movie sad, crying, and happy ending moving. want to see more of the story.