A Gift of Hope

GiftofHopeWhatever we receive from God is what He asks that we give to someone else. This is what Jesus meant when he said, “Freely you have received; freely give” (Matthew 10:8).

I saw the power of this the time my own Sophia and I were walking down a crowded street. I had a full day, but had promised to let her accompany me on it — a special treat for both of us. I was racing the clock, determined to make it to Starbucks before a meeting. We’d been running hard and fast all that day to keep appointments, to get things done, and I needed a pick-me-up. Images of tall cups of seventy percent foam, extra-hot, skim cappuccinos were dancing in my head.

Sophia, on the other hand, would have been happy just to walk along and look at everything: the shop-window displays, the flower and tree pots outside the buildings, the cars parked alongside the curb. But I was on a mission.

Suddenly I realized that Sophia’s hand was no longer in mine. I grabbed at the air, reaching for her, but touched nothing. I whirled around to find her.

Just steps behind, she had stopped to kneel at the curb next to a man who appeared to be homeless. She held out to him the dollar I’d given her that morning to buy a treat for herself. She had been holding tight to that dollar the entire day. It was a treasure, a rare gift for a special day with Mummy, and she’d been trying to decide exactly how to spend it on our day downtown. Now, without hesitation, she was handing it to a stranger. “Jesus gave me this dollar to give to you,” she said.

How easily she had handed over what was so precious to her. How powerful that mere dollar became.

The man she handed it to handed it back, tears streaming down his face. “Honey,” he said, “you spend that on some candy for yourself.”

He had been given something much more precious than her dollar. Sophia had given her heart — and so much more. She gave him hope. She reminded him that there was goodness in this world, and grace — even from a child. She had reminded him that God would provide — even from the least and most unlikely sources. Sophia had crossed the street (or at least moved to the side of it), and God had gone with her. He used her open hand to open a stranger’s heart. And He used her willing spirit on that day to show me that when we give what we have, and don’t overthink it, God — the God of hope — delivers all the rest.

Known for her “tell it like it is,” passionate, compelling style, Christine Caine travels the globe taking messages of hope and inspiration to people around the world, including many stops on the Women of Faith From Survival to Revival tour this fall.

From Undaunted © 2012 by Christine Caine (Zondervan). Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. 1 month ago
    rachel says

Wow..this gave me chills while reading it. It’s amazing the effect that something so simple can have on us and it’s amazing to see such a big heart in someone so little. Kids really can teach us so much if we just let them. This was a great post and great boost for me to get through the day to make the most of my weekend. Thanks for sharing!

2. 1 month ago
    Linda N says

Sophia’s kindness is touching & certainly reflects a heart full of God’s love which was placed there by you & her daddy. My son & I recently bought some $5 gift cards from a fast food chain to hand out when we see someone in need, and using Sophia’s beautiful example we’re going to include a message about Jesus along with the gift card from this moment on. In Priscilla Shirer’s “Jonah” study, she challenged participants to come up with a local mission idea. Our women’s group decided to put together bags (gallon storage size) with bottled water, crackers, granola bars, mints, gum, toothbrush & paste, a washcloth & soap, etc. to keep in our backseats for the homeless when we see them around the city. The response from the dear people that received them was heart-warming. It’s been a while since I ran out of bags, but sweet Sophia’s example has inspired me to reinstate the project. Thank you, Sophia, for being such a beautiful reminder of God’s compassion.

3. 1 month ago
    Phylisha Ezell says

After my very first time going to the woman of faith confrence, im a huge fan of chritine cain. I was so moved with her story as a young child. Shes definitely an Inspiration to me !!!!!!

4. i asked for your prayers concerning my family and i problem having no electricity since may 21, 2014. i have been praying but feel like i am not getting anywhere. we have tried to get help even from churches but have not been able to come up with the money. we have had people offer to put the electric in there name but duke energy isn’t willing to try and help us. the only way we can get it turned back on is come up with $249 and a co-signer or $429. i ask for your prayers concerning this matter. in matthew it says where two or three are in agreement he hears our prayers

5. 1 month ago
    sheila miller says

And this is why the Bible tells us we must become as children! As adults, we are too hardened to the daily busy-ness of life to really see and hear God’s world that is all around us.
    What a special message this is for me today ~ thank you for sharing.
    I know this was a “wake-up” call for the day for you, Christine.

felix okoroafor says

The act of giving in righteousness entitles us to kingdom benefits.

7. Thank you for sharing that, it blessed me so much. Our children are never to young to be used by God. As an adult, Mom, and wife my days seem to be rushed and no time to stop. So this reminds me to slow down and listen and look…God bless you as you continue to pour into others.

Beonca says

This is so touching! thanks for sharing! We all need to remember the words of the scripture and act as Sophia has. God Bless her kindness!

9. Children are amazing! They blurt out what they know to be true – “Jesus gave me this” As adults we want to give credit to all sorts of things, people, and even events, but we need to remember that ALL of it from the hair on our head to the shoes on our toes is a gift to us from our beautiful creator. It is not ours to keep and hold tight.

Kelly Smith says

My child was like that when he was young. When he saw kids wanting in the store, he would always ask me to buy them the gifts and the things they wanted. It’s so nice to see children who want to give.

Sue Reifsnider says

Sophia, I’m proud of you. You are a true “woman” of God. You will be a leader. You go girlfriend!