A Precious Gift

PreciousGiftDuring the summer of 2006, I made plans with my friend Lisa and her friend Sherry, who lived in Pennsylvania, to meet up at Women of Faith in Philadelphia in September.  I would drive in from NY.

In the weeks that followed, my father, who had been sick for over two years, deteriorated and passed away the week before the conference. I had been blessed to spend the last week of his life helping my mom and being with him, most especially as he received the Lord during that time!  Still, my heart was very heavy and I felt numb inside.

I did not feel like going to the conference at that point, but I was holding the tickets!  I made the journey to Philadelphia alone, with plans to meet in the lobby. When I got there, my friends were nowhere to be found and I didn’t have my cellphone. I could hear the sounds that the event was beginning and I began to feel frightened and overwhelmed. A security guard reassured me as I tearfully told him of my dilemma.  Suddenly, I heard the opening strains of “How Great Thou Art.” I rushed over to the doorway looking into the arena, and was just overcome with the awesomeness of God and His goodness to me, as I was treated to hearing  Sandi Patti (my favorite Christian artist) singing  that magnificent hymn as only she can amidst a backdrop of starry effects.

When it was over, I found my friends almost immediately. But I am so thankful, that I had had that special time alone with my Lord and my God first, when He came to me in my hour of darkness, and  reminded me through that most precious gift, that He loves me deeply, and is with me always.  I will never forget it.

P.S. [Women of Faith] asked who I think this story will impact the most—maybe it was me! I’ve thought of sharing it several times before and never got around to it. Right now, I am in the most difficult time of my life, as I stand in faith with my husband as he valiantly battles ALS.  Just now, as I finished writing my story, the words “I will never forget it” jumped out at me.  I had forgotten!  Thank You, Lord, for reminding me yet again, You ARE with me and You LOVE me!

Do you have a Women of Faith story to share? We would love to read it (and possibly share it in an upcoming newsletter). Submit your story here.

Comments

chris says

Thank you for sharing this story. I was reminded that I need to let go, let GOd. I am often remindrd, be still and know that I am GOd. Thr more I practice this, I feel his peace and love surround me. I will pray formyour husband. God bless you.

Suzanne R. from EastTexas says

Praying for you and your husband Gail, He is mighty and will never let us go

3. God Bless you all. We are all strong in the Lord. We will carry on. I pray for all of you who are going through trials right now. They are temporary because our forever home is with the Lord. Please keep smiling and choose joy. My heart and prayers goes out to all.

Cheri says

Gail, I will be praying for the journey that you and your husband are on together. God will give you the strength and comfort you need. Even though you do not know who I am, know that my heart goes out to you both! God is with You!!
    Cheri (in Indiana)

5. This beautifully moving post reminds me of when Corrie Ten Boom wrote (from having lost her sister in the Nazi concentration camp where they both suffered) there is no pit so deep that the love of Jesus Christ is not deeper still. And sometimes God knocks our socks off with an offering profoundly able to rest our hearts from weary grief. I am sorry for all the loss, and grateful that we know the Lord to whom we belong, with the Holy Spirit always to comfort us.

6. HI, my husband is battling ALS and we know what will and may happen. Those of us who are working through this with our spouses know what a struggle it is. Keeping smiles on our faces, always tired, our lives are like jack in boxes because we are forever needed. Very little time for ourselves. We had a HHA, actually several, but the last one brought an infection in the house and Ed wound up in the emergency room, extremely ill. He recovered but it was bad because, as you all know their immune system is zero. So I am the total caregiver. I do not complain because we are together. One of the statements that I make all the time is “God has given us the gift of time”. Ed is in his 7th year. He is struggling more since he has been sick but we are good. God knows where we are with Him and we know that He is with us every day, hour, minute. We choose joy over misery. Till death do us part. That is our promise to each other.

7. This post was so sweet and reassuring of God’s faithflulness despite the circumstances we face.
    Thank you for your bravery and willingness to share. Very inspiring!

gail kupec says

Ladies,
    Thank you for your encouragement, comments and prayers.
    The story was written several months ago- my beloved Billy went home to the Lord on March 7, 2014.
    God carried us and showed Himself in so many ways these past three years. He truly gave us the strength to keep going, and to keep being a witness. The love shown to us from the Body of Christ in so many places was outstanding. I always believed in the importance of church community but it is sealed in my heart more than ever.
    Ill be praying for all the needs I just saw posted here. Love to you, my sisters.

teresa mckay-horsey says

thank you and I will never forget !

Susan says

Thank you for sharing this devotional today … I am standing in the gap for you and your husband as he battles with ALS — my prayers are lifted high! On another note, I needed to read this devotional today as I am wallowing in my pity party over the broken relationship with my baby sister — she has, more or less, ‘divorced’ our family — no communications with any of us since last December. Have spent the better part of the morning crying over this and journaling. I will not give up hope — I send her emails, handmade cards, and Skype texts … I know God will work it out in His time!

Kathy says

Gail – thanks for sharing your story. I was deeply touched. It is so easy to forget when we’re dealing with challenges that HE loves us. Music has a way of soothing the soul and I’m so happy that Sandi sang the song you needed to hear at the right moment.

12. Your letter reminded of my own husband’s illness. He was sick for nineteen years. He had the first stroke in 1973, first open heart surgery in 1974, the second in 1979. At the time I wondered if the Lord had forgotten about us many times. After he died, I was able to see that in fact, His hand had been guiding for all that time. God was so good to my husband in His illness, giving him time to change his attitudes and his lifestyles.

13. My husband of 40 some years just had second stroke. He is home with us but he is someone different
    He is no paralyzed slight speech slur, leg weakness, thinking process, balance lost, Jesus help me
    to see what you see. No insurance many bills. We are not alone because we have you. Please pray for us.

• 3 months ago
      Elizabeth says

Dear Isabel,
      I am praying for you, your husband and your family. This will probably be a difficult journey, but with Jesus you will have the courage, strength, comfort and wisdom to do it. Jesus is the vine and I am a branch. My husband had terminal cancer. I had him for 40 years. It was very difficult but we were determined to make the best of every day. We did have to conserve strength, get sleep, get proper nutrition, and accept help of Hospice. If hospice is involved, it probably won’t cost anything for their services. They help with pain management, comfort care, and even volunteers who can sit with your husband so you can get a break to run an errand. Don’t be so isolated that you can’t ask for help from your church. You will find blessings in each day if you look for them. God bless you.
      Elizabeth

Penelope Wolters says

Thank You for sharing this story. I am struggling with spiritual revival and these words greatly encouraged me. Praise The Lord!

Linda says

Great post! My husband is battling ALS as well. It’s scary for both of us but we keep our eyes on Jesus. God bless you and your husband!