Resting on the Sabbath

RestonSabbathSo the week has been overwhelming? You want a sanitized house. Your family deserves nutritious meals. Your job is demanding (whether you are an office slave or a household servant!). You would like to take an art course, write a poem, create a garden, maybe take a trip. . . .

“I can’t do it all!” you screamed above the hiss of the shower over and over when you were alone half a blissful moment.

Of course, you can’t. Don’t you think God knew that? That’s why He created Sundays. Now the helter-skelter existence will commence anew on Monday. But maybe you can face life a day at a time if you use Sunday wisely—breathing in God in big, big doses.

Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Genesis 2:3

For so the Lord said to me,

“I will take My rest,

And I will look from My dwelling place

Like clear heat in sunshine,

Like a cloud of dew in the heat of harvest.”

Isaiah 18:4

And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
Deuteronomy 5:15

From Joy for the Journey: Morning and Evening © 2014 by Thomas Nelson (Thomas Nelson, Inc.) Used by permission.

Comments

1. Ooops, I meant to thank Adrian and instead I used Anita. So sorry Adrian, but I do believe you have God’s heart on this matter. Thank you!

2. Anita, Thank you so much for your recent post. You hit the nail on the head girl, while I went all around about it without your conciseness. Thank you!

3. 2 days ago
    Adrian says

wow, I am amazed at this entire discussion. It is STEEPED in legalism. I think The Lord is more interested in our intentions and our hearts than he is if we call the Sabbath Saturday or Sunday.

4. What happens when people have to work and their Saturday and Sunday are actually Tuesdays and Wednesdays how does this work with scripture I do know alot of people work both Saturday and Sunday

5. 5 days ago
    Marilyn Orcutt says

Marilyn Grace, I am so sorry that you have met Christians who keep the 7th day Sabbath who are dogmatic about it. I also understand when that attitude is presented it’s hard to believe that they are Christians. I have wonderful friends whose beliefs are different than mine and I can assure you that I’m looking forward to living next door in heaven. Please realize that this discussion is not about pushing ones beliefs or judging anyone else, but it never hurts to discuss with openness. Just recently I learned wonderful truths of the gospel in the Old Testament in a way that I had not understood it before. I really thought all of my comments along with others has been in the spirit of learning and I hope that all receive it that way. I’m so grateful that God is the judge as I am as imperfect as the next person. Thankfully also, it is not my perfection, but His that matters.

6. I appreciate your response sister. What you fail to recognize is that Paul was stating that God recognizes the effort of each believer to honor a day as the Sabbath unto Him. The Sabbath was made for the man. Not for God. It was a day in which we were all to rest from our labors and take time out to give God our time and attention and offer up to Him our praise and thanksgiving and affection. It was a time to refresh our bodies and minds also. I understand from having friends in the 7th Day Adventist Church that they have been taught so strongly that they are “right’ and everyone else is wrong and that it is a total abomination NOT to worship God on the Saturday or Sabbath according to them. So dogmatic are they ( I have several) that they can tell you that you are not even a true believer if you fail to worship God on the Sabbath Saturday and in “their” way. We are not to judge one another like this. And the early church appears to have changed the worship to the first day of the week -denoting the celebration of Christ’s resurrection. Let there be peace between both fractions and know that both sides love God! Paul says, God will be the judge, so stop judging one another.

• 5 days ago
      Laura says

Oh Marilyn. Please see my earlier comment under Laura. I am. Seventh day believer and do not share the dogmatic way the Sabbath was shared with you. I humbly apologize for the perception of others. Our most thoughtful members who study do not believe we are exclusive to heaven and I rejoice we will be there together with all my sister believers. Gods box is not that small :) and has never been.

7. 6 days ago
    Wendy says

Marilyn,
    It’s not about one Christian judging another. It’s simply about what the Bible says is true. I want to be obedient to God, my Father, and obey His commandments that were to be for ALL people for ALL time. I don’t do it because I have to, but because I love Him and want to honor His true Sabbath, the day He set aside for us to commune with Him, to put all other things aside. We need to be cautioned against becoming defensive when a fellow Christian is only trying to point you towards the truth. You are correct that the Lord is the ultimate Judge and He will hold all accountable for the truth that was presented to them. Please continue to study with an open mind and pray that the Lord will convict you His truth. God bless you all.

8. 7 days ago
    Valarie Anderson says

I agree that the sabbath is the seventh day which is Saturday. This is the only commandment that God says to remember because it was establish in the beginning. God knows what we need. He gave us 6 days to get things done and only ask for one which it is at the end of the week. God bless. I pray for those who are seeking God’s truth will find it.

9. Great discussion and many good points. When I posted the first comment it was simply meant to create more study of the Bible. For one who thought it was nitpicking, I’m sorry if it came across that
    way. It’s difficult to understand when we read scripture from cover to cover that some things God lists as important are considered that. I think it is wonderful that a Sabbath rest was discussed because it is such a blessing and I commend those who have incorporated that into their lives.
    As to Paul’s scripture regarding Sabbaths, they did have many festivals which were separated from the
    Sabbath that God gave in the 10 commandments. As to the lunar calendar and the Gregorian calendar, If there is truly that misunderstanding then why not just choose a day as God’s holy day, Monday through Friday. Ask yourself, why you keep Sunday and study how that day became the day of choice for Christians instead of the day God sanctified. I’m certainly not here to judge anyone else, that is God’s business and God is for us as we journey on together, but as a fellow Christian I think we can all challenge each other to study His word more and know for ourselves. As Christians we should also be able to discuss these things and look at them openly. I’m a believer that the most important thing is our relationship with Him and sharing His love with all. Blessings to all of you and thanks for all your comments. Dialog can be a way of growing and understanding of how much He loves us.

10. 1 week ago
    Onita Yost says

Interesting comments. I just read an article in a Messianic Jewish publication about the keeping of the Sabbath according to Scripture…Seems everyone misses the fact that the ancient calendar, prior to the Julian calendar (created by Julius Caesar and based on sunrise to sunrise) and the Gregorian calendar (created by a Pope named Gregory) was actually a lunar calendar ( approx. 29.53 days) and not the solar calendar which we use today. Not only was the 7th day a Sabbath day of rest, but the day of the New Moon (which is counted as the first day of the month) was a Sabbath day and would reset the week/month. So if the new moon on the calendars we use now is on the 5th day of the week it would start all over again…So is the day we are calling Sunday really the first day of the week and is the day we call Saturday really the last? I guess only God truly knows…

• 7 days ago
      Kathy says

From what I have read, that theory is actually a newer thought about what may have taken place. However, the Bible only speaks to the seventh day being the day of rest, the Sabbath. There were additional Sabbaths that were holy/festival days, but they still observed the regular Sabbath. There is nowhere in Scripture that says they reset the days according to the new moon. In the New Testament, we are told that the saints met on the first day of the week to break bread. They also set aside their offerings on the first day of the week. The Lord arose on the first day of the week, and we are no longer under the Old Law. So, is it right to worship on the seventh day or the first day? How about we worship Him every day and not try to judge our brothers and sisters for which day they worship. My only point is that we not say that God created Sundays for the Sabbath because that is incorrect.

11. My husband and I are Pastor’s. Although we don’t consider ministry work, Sunday’s seem to be a workday for us. So we decided a few years ago to make one day a week a Sabbath for us. On that day we do nothing with church, but focus on our relationship with God the Father, our relationship with each other, focusing on resting our minds. We have to guard it with every fiber. At times “church” stuff has to be done on that day, but we regroup and thank God the Father for all He has done, is doing and will continue to do in and through us. Thank you for keeping in front of that we do need a Sabbath.

12. I too, am concerned about the Pope’s agenda to see the church all become one. It is to become one in this: that all should become Catholic ( the first church) once again. But when one understands and has studied the history of the early church and how the catholic church came about during the dark ages, when even the simple truth of the just shall live by faith was lost, then we understand that the Catholic Church was not the church that Peter founded at all. As a matter of fact, Peter, was not the ROCK upon which Christ said he would build his church. And Peter was most definitely not the first pope! The rock upon which Christ continues to build His church today still remains the statement which flesh and blood did not reveal to Peter. Peter’s statement and the foundation, the ” rock” upon which Christ would build His church was not a man named Peter but the revelation came from none other than the Holy Ghost, which was this: ” Thou are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” and it is upon this truth that Christ builds his church. When you understand that you are invincible! – Until God has finished his purpose in you.

13. 1 week ago
    Kathy says

I have to agree with what some of the others said about the Sabbath being Saturday. The fact is that most Christians worship corporately on Sunday, which many call the Lord’s Day because of the resurrection happening on Sunday. I don’t have a problem with that. In fact, I worship on Sunday as well. However, I don’t think it is correct to say that God created Sundays for Sabbath. God said the seventh day was created for rest. That is the Sabbath that is talked about in Scripture. I believe worshiping God on any day is blessed, but to accurately quote Scripture, Sabbath was from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Then there were special Sabbaths that were holy days (festivals). It’s not about trying to be nit-picky. It’s just about not misquoting or misrepresenting Scripture.

14. 1 week ago
    Patti says

I am in agreement with Kay and Marilyn, Jesus kept the Sabbath day, Saturday, as well as His disciples who continued to keep the Saturday Sabbath after His crucifixion and resurrection, for several hundred years. If you look at history, the common day of worship was changed to Sunday by humans, not God, centuries after the resurrection. During the dark ages, when the owning a Bible was made illegal, the truth of the Biblical Sabbath was almost completely forgotten. There are only a small percentage of Christians who still keep all of the 10 commandments by keeping the Sabbath Holy. I do not believe that those who keep Sunday are bad, or that they don’t sincerely want to keep the law of God, but because they simply don’t know the truth. The traditions of man have become so normal, that the Law of God as He wrote it, with his own finger, have been partially forgotten. I truly believe that if most Christians knew the truth, that they would also worship on the true Sabbath Day and keep it Holy. It is my humble prayer that as people read these posts, that they will be led by the Holy Spirit to seek out the truth, and share it with those that they love.

15. 1 week ago
    Jan says

I agree the Seventh Day Sabbath is meant to be just that, a memorial of creation a shadow of the “rest” to come and a wonderful day for us to set aside for the Lord on the 7th Day. I hear many people speak against the Seventh Day Sabbath saying “I worship God every day”. yes that is good…but I do not know many people who go to church on Sunday who set aside that day especially for the Lord resting from their every day labor…it is a gift…

16. In my denomination we encourage a Sabbath observance from Sundown Friday night until Sundown Saturday night, the same way the Sabbath was observed in the old testiment. It is soooo refreshing to know that I have a 24 hour period of time to rest, study God’s word, worship, and generally “recharge my batteries” without any guilt that I should be doing something “productive.”

Try it! Once you start setting time aside each week for Sabbath, you will definately look forward to this day of rest!

17. 1 week ago
    Trish says

Since most of us ignore the idea of a Sabbath rest totally, I think arguing over which day it is is trivial. Moreover, if I rested on Saturday and gave God all of Sunday (which I do as we have morning and evening services and I lead worship at both), I would be trying to get everything done (full time job, 2 hour commute, housework, family, grocery shopping, treasurer’s duties, devotions, bible study) done in 5 days and I’m learning I definitely cannot do that. Right now, I’ll work in trying to rest on Sundays and see if God convicts me any differently. This kind of nit-picking is what drives so many from the church.

• 1 week ago
      Patti says

I don’t believe that anyone’s comments were meant to be nit-picking, I found everyone’s comments to be of very good taste. It is amazing that you give so much to God and your family, very commendable, I believe that what drives people from the church is not differences in opinion, but lack of Christ-like love and harsh judgement of others. I volunteer at the juvenile detention center in my home city, and this is the overwhelming reaction I get from any of them that try to attend different churches, the people that judge them before getting to know them. May the Holy Spirit continue to guide you in your search for truth. I, myself, was a Sunday keeper for many years, I was a missionary in another country for 5 years as a Sunday keeper, but the Holy Spirit did convict me that the Sabbath was important to God, and that I needed to study and find the truth. I invite you to visit Amazingfacts.org there are free materials that might explain in more depth if you are truly interested. I know that entire Sunday keeping churches have turned to Sabbath keeping after discovering the truth. God Bless You Greatly :)

• 1 week ago
      Wendy says

You’re right…there is no argument. I don’t believe God’s law is trivial when He said to keep the seventh-day Sabbath holy. According to all calendars I know of, that would be Saturday. It’s not nit-picking…it’s what God, Himself, commands us. It’s the day He rested on following His creation and it’s the day He wants us to rest on, as well.

18. 1 week ago
    Laura says

Thank-you for sharing this. I first realized the honor it is to keep a Sabbath in college, not because my family did it traditionally, but when I quit doing it “support” myself in college. I now realize what a deep blessing for mind and body that the Creator designed for us to bless us when we take time out. I hope all will study this more and truly accept the gifts he offers our spirit for 24 hrs of rest, connection, and try this out in your own lives as a test to HIS love and grace. The commandments are there to give us blessing and peace in our lives. This is one for all of us.

19. God did create the seventh day to rest. But that day is Saturday. Man changed the worship day to Sunday. Sunday means day of the sun and is the first day. Sabbath means seventh day It is written in history where the King changed the day to Sunday to honor the sun gods. In the article you are saying two different things.

20. 1 week ago
    Marilyn Orcutt says

You missed one great point. You quoted scripture that shows God rested on the 7th day, which is Saturday, not Sunday. I know, most of the Christian world thinks it’s not important-but God does. If you study further you will find out that the Roman Catholic Church claims to have the authority to
    change the Sabbath. Sorry, but God says not one jot or one tittle will pass from His law and amazingly Jesus rested in the grave on Sabbath. There is such a blessing awaiting those who recognize His sovereign ability to not only create us, but to re-create us, all of which is commemorated in His Sabbath. Please don’t say this is legalistic, because keeping the rest of God’s commandments is never considered that. I don’t keep it because I have to, I keep it because I love Him so much and shall be forever grateful for what He did for me, how can I not do what He asked. I love Women of Faith. It’s brought such joy in my life meeting with other Christians. We can all learn from each other, but we are
    living in perilous times. The new pope is so charismatic and he is doing a lot of good, but he also believes that there is no need for protestants any more and that all should join under the banner of the Catholic church. If you haven’t heard this, you need to spend the time listening to his speeches, listening to the evangelicals and charismatic preachers that are moving that direction. Blessings on your ministry.

• 1 week ago
      Wendy says

Amen! This is absolutely true! Thank you for sharing, Marilyn.

21. 1 week ago
    cheryl says

I’m reading ur article & it seems a lil contradicting on the Sabbath day it clearly states the 7th day which is Saturday yet turn & say its Sunday the 1st day of the wk. PLS show me how that works?? Thnx

• Regarding which day to take on as the Sabbath. There must have been contention within even the early church for Paul said in Romans that they needed to stop JUDGING one another about who eats what and who esteems which day to worship and rest. Here are those verses:
      “Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Romans 14:4-8 and verse 9 says, “But why do you judge your brother? or shy do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. Verses 12 and 13 – So then, each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us NOT judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. ” So, it seems that Paul was speaking on behalf of our God and under the influence of the Holy Ghost, that the important thing was that you be persuaded in your own mind and then do it all unto the Lord who is the only one who can judge you on eating and on the Sabbath – what day you chose to keep it. Are we good with the Word of God as our referee?