The Woman of Valor
The Woman of Valor
Brought to you by
Kristine Brackman of Christian Healthcare Ministries (CHM)
The Proverbs 31 woman, a woman of valor, virtuous woman of God. Sounds quite intimidating, doesn’t it? Plant a vineyard? Get up before dawn? Make her own bedspreads?
Then her lamp burns into the night? Being a virtuous woman also sounds exhausting.
Before this sends you into a panic, take a deep breath, relax, and read on.
What is a virtuous woman?
As a female follower of Christ, you’re probably familiar with Proverbs 31:10-31 and accustomed to using these verses as the ultimate example of an admirable godly woman. However, many may find “her” hard to live up to. Thankfully, biblically, the “ideal” woman does not mean perfection, but rather, turning to the one who is—Jesus.
“…a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” –Proverbs 31:30 (NLT)
To be a virtuous woman according to the bible is to turn to God and let Him build her character.
One version describes Proverbs 31 as “The Virtuous Wife” (NKJV), while the Tree of Life version uses “A Woman of Valor”. Both allude to celebrating the woman. Translated from the Hebrew (אֵֽשֶׁת-חַיִל - “eishet chayil”) we see that the woman described here is a mighty woman, not unlike the force of an army that displays valor through strength and courage. She is no passive spectator but an active and powerful partner in the life of her family and community.
- She is wise, dependable and trustworthy.
- She is savvy and scrupulous.
- She is compassionate, faithful, prayerful.
- She is a loving and hardworking leader, leading by example.
- She is kind and admirable.
- She fosters peace.
- She loves and fears the Lord.
You may look at this list, confidently identifying with one, some, or all these qualities. Some come more naturally, and others require more effort. Because you’re human, there will be days when you will feel like you’re nowhere near being a Proverbs 31 woman. Thankfully, there is someone who can walk alongside you as you strive to be a woman of valor–Jesus.
How to be (and continue being) a Proverbs 31 woman
The Proverbs 31 woman turns to God and lets Him build her character.
During those times when you feel “less than” a virtuous woman, remember that you were created in His likeness and image. You are meant to be like Him. Who best to seek strength from than the perfecter of your faith?
When you feel that you are being tested, or falling short, the first step is to get on your knees and pray. Ask for God to give you the grace to be who He wants you to be. Ask Him to give you the strength and the patience to be a righteous woman. To be a Proverbs 31 Woman of Valor is a process–of refinement–as is one’s Christian walk.
So, fear not. You won’t necessarily have to get up before daylight, then burn the midnight oil because the spindle you ordered from Amazon arrived. Instead, here are some practical steps towards becoming a virtuous woman of God:
- Set aside time in the day to soak in His Word and listen to His leading. You can start with meditating on each verse in Proverbs 31:10-31, one verse at a time. Reflect on how this translates to your daily life.
- Then, take action when you hear from Him. Has He been gently reminding you to be wiser about your time? Perhaps He has been encouraging you to extend grace and generosity towards someone.
- Lean on Him. Remember that Jesus is your Redeemer. He makes all things possible for those who believe (Mark 9:23). Being the best version of oneself is not always easy. Thankfully, you can do all things in Christ who strengthens you (Jeremiah 29:11).
To be a Proverbs 31 woman is to exude Christ. To be the salt and light in this world. May He bless you as and walk alongside you in your life journey as a woman of God.
“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” – Philippians 1:6.