SATAN, DEMONS & SATANISM
SATAN, DEMONS & SATANISM
SEEING THE SINISTER REALITY
Have you ever wondered, Why is there so much evil? Bewildered people all over the world watch the news wondering why evil is so prevalent. Many never realize that Satan is the source of evil—a sinister force who has influenced people to be evil from the beginning of time. His sly strategy is to distort the truth of God and to lead the whole world astray.
“That ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan … leads the whole world astray.”
In both the religious and secular worlds there is a growing recognition of, and interest in, demonic activity. The Bible recognizes the reality of this activity: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood [human beings], but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12).
Demons, also called in Scripture “unclean spirits” (Luke 4:36) and “deceiving spirits” (1 Timothy 4:1), are totally evil, invisible, intelligent spirits.
Like Satan, demons fell into condemnation through pride, and are the adversaries of both God and humankind. Though real and active, the devil and his messengers (demons) are often blamed for many things for which they are not guilty. Some Christians tend to blame all erratic behavior on “demon possession” when, actually, most of it is the result of humankind’s sinful, selfish nature. Also, sometimes individuals who are on drugs or who are mentally ill will appear to be afflicted by demons.
The Christian who desires to be used by God to help people with spiritual problems might do well to heed the admonition of the apostle John: “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God” or “the spirit of the Antichrist” (1 John 4:1, 3).
Thus, demons must be discerned, tested, resisted, and rejected by believers. (1 Corinthians 12:10; Ephesians 4:27; 6:10–18; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8–9; 1 John 4:1–6.)
Through the victory of Jesus Christ over Satan and his demonic assistants, and in the mighty name of Jesus Christ and in the power of the Holy Spirit, the child of God can overcome Satan and his demons. (Matthew 8:16–17; 12:28; Mark 16:17; Acts 19:15.)
“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
Who Is Satan?
Do you remember in your early school years when you were assigned to a competitive team in sports? The obvious objective was to defeat your opponent. The team you played hard to defeat was viewed as “the adversary.”
In later years, sport strategies became more sophisticated, and coaches began to make serious studies of the adversaries, including watching films of their opponents. Today you have an adversary. This is no game—it is real. You need to know your adversary, Satan—the enemy of your soul. His one determined objective is to defeat you and to destroy God’s plan for you.
- Satan is the supreme adversary of God and the leader of the spiritual forces of evil.
- Satan is the supreme adversary of God and the leader of the spiritual for ces of evil.
- The English word satan is derived from the Hebrew noun satan, which means “adversary” or “opponent.” The Hebrew verb satan means “to attack or accuse.”
- Satan is an angelic being created by God and possessing a mind (2 Corinthians 11:3), a will (2 Timothy 2:26), and emotions (Revelation 12:17).
“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
1 Peter 5:8
Practical Tools and Resources to Go Deeper!
SPIRITUAL STRENGTH | LIFE LEADERSHIP | REAL RELATIONSHIPS
NOT SURE ON HOW TO START?
LEARN: WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF SATANIC INVOLVEMENT?
Get your free Key to Hope on SATAN, DEMONS & SATANISM. The download will be sent to your email.
WOMEN OF FAITH SHOW with ALITA REYNOLDS
Inspiring conversations that will encourage you to live the life you were created for.
Do you want to experience a deeper relationship with Jesus?
Do you need some encouragement that your story has a purpose?
Join Alita Reynolds, the President of Women of Faith, as she and her featured guests inspire you to live the life you were created for and equip you to walk more fully in God’s purpose for your life.
Whatever your story, your life matters, you belong, and God wants you to live victoriously. You’ll meet a wide range of guests who impact the kingdom in meaningful ways every day. Their stories will inspire you to believe that when we walk by faith, ANYTHING is possible.
COLLECTION OF CLASSES
Take a deep dive into complete and comprehensive teaching.
Learn with our collection of classes found by subscribing today PLUS receive so much more.
Our Women of Faith Collection of Classes are designed to help you and those you care about deepen your relationship with Jesus and make practical changes in your life. Sign up to watch the Women of Faith Collection of Classes at LIFTABLEtv and start moving toward the FREEDOM you crave.
Whatever you’re facing, your life matters, and God wants you to live in victory. Today is a great day to begin.
What Is Satanism?
- Satanism is a religion that worships and declares allegiance to Satan.
- Satanism is also a religion based on the exaltation of evil with no belief in a personal devil.
“He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
What Is the Church of Satan?
- A legal and highly organized religion that teaches that indulgence in sin is the path to freedom.
- Founded in the United States on April 30, 1966, by Anton LaVey (a former carnival member).
- The rituals mock Christianity.
- The initiation rituals are sexual.
- Published The Satanic Bible in 1969.
“The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.”
(1 Timothy 4:1)
What Are the Signs of Satanic Involvement?
Signs of Possible Satanic Curiosity
- Unexplained mood swings
- Avoidance of family members
- Intense rebelliousness
- Change in friends
- Black candles
- Black clothing and jewelry
- Hostility toward the church
- Fixation on death
- Preference for heavy metal rock music
- Use of satanic paraphernalia
- Drawing or displaying satanic symbols
- Secret agendas and unexplained activities
- Obsession with occult books, games, videos, movies
Signs of Possible Satanic Captivity
- Wearing items such as an inverted cross, pentagram
- Reading The Satanic Bible
- Collection of bones and death items
- Tattoos of satanic symbols
- Cutting the body destructively
- Witchcraft and occult practices
- Puncture wounds on animals
- Sexual abuse
- Multiple personality disorder
- Kidnapping and torture
- Suicide attempts
Satan’s Power Is Limited
- Satan cannot be everywhere. (Job 1:7)
- Satan has no absolute power over a believer’s possessions. (Job 1:8–11)
- Satan has no absolute power over a believer’s body. (Job 1:12)
- Satan has no absolute power over a believer’s life. (Job 2:3–6)
- Satan must obey Jesus. (Matthew 4:10–11)
- Satan must ask permission to tempt a believer. (Luke 22:31)
- Satan has to leave if he is resisted. (James 4:7)
- Satan cannot protect his followers. (Matthew 25:41)
- Satan cannot prevent his own demise.(Revelation 20:10)
The Diminishing Role of Demons
- Demons know that Jesus Christ is the Holy One of God. (Mark 1:23–24)
- Demons shudder and tremble before God. (James 2:19)
- Demons must submit to Jesus. (1 Peter 3:22)
- Demons cannot escape their final judgment. (2 Peter 2:4)
- Demons know that torture is their destiny. (Matthew 8:29)
Prevention and Protection
Living in victory over Satan is possible when we realize that our victory is in Jesus Christ alone! We are engaged in a lifelong war with Satan, and that struggle often involves our family and friends. Therefore, we need to be prepared at all times so that we and those we love will not fall into the enemy’s hands.
- Be aware—
Know that satanic influence can touch any family.
- Be knowledgeable—
Know what the Bible says about Satan.
- Be alert—
Be quick to recognize signs and symptoms of satanic involvement.
- Be loving—
Listen for and hear feelings and emotions that are being communicated.
- Be respectful—
Do not be accusing or condemning.
- Be involved—
Attend a warm, Bible-believing, spiritually alert church.
- Be tough—
Realistically present the consequences of satanic involvement.
- Be edifying—
Plan activities and projects that build self-worth.
- Be in contact—
Get support from ministers, youth leaders, and police experts.
- Be in prayer—
Ask God for a hedge of protection around your family.
“The Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.”
(2 Thessalonians 3:3)
Key Verse to Learn
“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
(1 Peter 5:8)
Key Passage to Read
1 John 3:7–10
Claim Your Victory in Christ
- Commit your entire life to Christ as Lord. Fully rely on Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9)
- Confess your involvement with Satan. Recognize and renounce each evil practice. (1 John 1:9)
- Confront Satan as a liar. Refuse to believe any thought that Satan puts into your mind. (John 8:44)
- Command Satan to leave you. Base your command on the authority given you in Christ. (James 4:7)
- Cleanse your home. Destroy all satanic and occult paraphernalia. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)
- Conform your thinking to God’s thinking. Transform your mind by memorizing Scripture. (Romans 12:2)
- Concede your own weakness. You cannot resist evil in your own strength ... you must rely on the indwelling power of Christ. (Philippians 4:13 ESV)
- Clothe yourself with the armor of God. Learn God’s way of protecting yourself against the devil’s schemes. (Ephesians 6:13–17).
Thank You for saving me and adopting me into Your family. I acknowledge that Your blood was the payment price that purchased the full forgiveness of my sins. My testimony is that I truly am a child of God. Right now, I take the authority that is mine in Christ and renounce any satanic, demonic power that was or is coming against me. When I sleep, I ask that the helmet of salvation protect my mind. May the breastplate of righteousness deflect any flaming arrows from the evil one. Put a hedge of protection around my mind and purify my dreams, and may God get the glory. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray. Amen.”
LIVE IN VICTORY!
100+ BIBLICALLY BASED RESOURCE TOPICS
READY TO GO DEEPER?
Be coached and equipped to boost your spiritual strength, experience real relationships, and be the life leader you are.
Want to learn more about our other 100+ topics? Check out the Women of Faith Resources, to discover biblical hope and practical help on these topics. The Women of Faith Resources are designed to help you – and help you help others – overcome difficulties, grow in maturity, and move forward in life.
God desires to give you hope as you face life challenges, problems and difficult trials. The good news for us, God specializes in redemption and transformation. He takes that which was lost and restores it. He takes that which was dead and gives it life. He takes that which had no hope and rewrites its story. This is our God! As you pray today, ask God boldly to transform the thing inside you that you want to see changed forever!
Thank you for your interest and support in Women of Faith. We pray God will encourage, equip, and empower you with His life-changing truth.