The Faith of Fred
The Faith of Fred
“In appreciating our neighbor, we’re participating in something truly sacred.”
— Mister Rogers
Fred Rogers was one of the most influential Christians of the 20th century. He conveyed Gospel principles to millions, using stories instead of sermons.
In the film, Fred’s love for Jesus is made self-evident through his ability to see the inner child in everyone. He makes his friend Lloyd feel known and heard. He sees and accepts Lloyd as a child of God.
As Mark 12:31 says, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (The Holy Bible, NIV) In today’s world, we all need to be reminded of the power of love—and the importance of saying, “Won’t you be my neighbor?”
Now you can use these resources to bring the message of neighborly love to your church and community!
A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD MOVIE SYNOPSIS
Tom Hanks portrays Mister Rogers in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. After a jaded magazine writer (Emmy winner Matthew Rhys) is assigned a profile of Fred Rogers, he overcomes his skepticism, learning about kindness, love and forgiveness from America’s most beloved neighbor.
This is a movie that you will want to experience in community—with your neighbor, church, small group, business, or any other large group. Our Group Tickets team can help.
Submit your request if you’d like to:
- Bring the movie to my town if it’s not scheduled to open there (750 tickets)
- Host a special buyout showing before the movie opens (100 tickets)
- Buy out a showtime for Opening Weekend (100 tickets)
- Bring a group of 25 people or more
It’s a Beautiful Day to Be Kind
You can be someone’s Mister Rogers today. Here are some ideas on how to be neighborly in your community. Use #SpreadKindness to show us how you’re living out Fred’s legacy.
- Join the Mister Rogers’ Helpers group on Facebook
- Write a thank you note to the people in your life who have loved you into being.
- Complete random acts of kindness in your community. Possible ideas: leave encouraging notes for others to find, post a positive review for a company, befriend someone new.
- Offer someone a genuine compliment today.
- Volunteer with a local nonprofit and give back to your neighborhood.
- Coordinate a donation bin for people in need.
- Check your road rage at the car door and practice being neighborly on the road.
- Visit with the elderly at a nearby retirement home.
- Participate in a neighborhood clean-up to inspire others to care for the environment.
- Is someone moving into your neighborhood? Greet them with a knock on the door and perhaps a small housewarming gift.
- Make an anonymous donation to a charity of your choice.
- Host a neighborhood gathering (like a dinner party) to bless your immediate community.
- Invite your neighbor to see A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, in theaters November 22.
Women of Faith is a global ministry, providing digital media, resources and events to encourage and equip women to experience a deeper relationship with Jesus.