GOD: WHO IS HE?
Who Is God?
“I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.”
According to the Bible, God is the one Supreme Being, the Creator and Controller of the universe, who personally intervenes in human life.
God desires to give you hope as you face life challenges, problems and difficult trials. The good news for us, God specializes in redemption and transformation. He takes that which was lost and restores it. He takes that which was dead and gives it life. He takes that which had no hope and rewrites its story. This is our God! As you pray today, ask God boldly to transform the thing inside you that you want to see changed forever!
“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
NOT SURE ON HOW TO START?
LEARN: WHAT ARE THE CHARACTER ATTRIBUTES OF GOD?
Get your free Key to Hope on GOD: WHO IS HE? The download will be sent to your email.
In Greek, the word for God is theos.
- Theology is the study of God. Our theology constitutes the way we think about God and our relationship to Him. There are only two kinds of theology: that which lines up with the Word of God and that which does not.
- A theocracy is government by God’s direct rule over a nation or people, or His rule through His chosen representatives who were God’s spokesmen, and by judges, who were God’s chosen deliverers.
In Hebrew, the basic word for God is El.
- The word el is found in many words throughout the Old Testament. El raises God high, reflecting His power.
- El emphasizes God’s might and power ... not a violent power, but profound power.
- El, when combined with other words, further identifies the nature or function of God. This is a compound name.
“The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.”
Names of God Containing El
“God” as Creator (Genesis 1:1)
- El Elyon
“God Most High” (Genesis 14:18–20)
- El Roi
“The God Who Sees” (Genesis 16:13)
- El Shaddai
“God Almighty” (Genesis 17:1)
- El Olam
“God Everlasting” (Genesis 21:33)
In Hebrew, the Word for “Lord” Is Jehovah or Yahweh
means “the Self-existent One”—The name Jehovah emphasizes His covenant-keeping role.
“Lord, the Self-existent One, Yahweh”
“the Lord, my Provider” (Genesis 22:14)
“the Lord who Heals” (Exodus 15:26)
“the Lord my Banner” (Exodus 17:15)
“the Lord who Sanctifies” (Exodus 31:13)
“the Lord is Peace” (Judges 6:23–24)
“the Lord of Hosts” (1 Samuel 1:3)
“the Lord my Shepherd” (Psalm 23:1)
“the Lord our Righteousness” (Jeremiah 23:6)
“the Lord is There” (Ezekiel 48:35)