Demystifying the Deeds of Darkness
If someone were to ask, “What exactly is wrong with the occult?” how would you answer? The occult has permeated our society to such an extent that we tend to dismiss it as just another fad. You may disregard some new occult craze, but do you understand its real evil? Make no mistake, involvement in the occult launches you into a realm clearly forbidden by God!
“I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people. Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God.”
Just how old is the occult? And what is its appeal? An appetite for supernatural knowledge and power is the same hunger that brought spiritual death to the inhabitants of Eden. As Satan “channeled” his words through a snake, his subtle seduction of Eve exposed the innate attraction we all have for the unknown.
Since that fateful day when Adam and Eve ate forbidden fruit, occultism has flourished. Just as the ancient world was fascinated with numerology, astrology, and witchcraft, our contemporary world is enticed by a smorgasbord of horoscopes, fortune-tellers, spirit guides, séances, and witch clubs. Tragically, deluded followers seeking the secrets of supernatural power and knowledge are still being seduced today.
“I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may
somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”
2 Corinthians 11:3
Practical Tools and Resources to Go Deeper!
SPIRITUAL STRENGTH | LIFE LEADERSHIP | REAL RELATIONSHIPS
NOT SURE ON HOW TO START?
LEARN: WHAT ARE THE OPENINGS & INVOLVEMENT INTO THE OCCULT?
Get your free Key to Hope on THE OCCULT. The download will be sent to your email.
WOMEN OF FAITH SHOW with ALITA REYNOLDS
Inspiring conversations that will encourage you to live the life you were created for.
Do you want to experience a deeper relationship with Jesus?
Do you need some encouragement that your story has a purpose?
Join Alita Reynolds, the President of Women of Faith, as she and her featured guests inspire you to live the life you were created for and equip you to walk more fully in God’s purpose for your life.
Whatever your story, your life matters, you belong, and God wants you to live victoriously. You’ll meet a wide range of guests who impact the kingdom in meaningful ways every day. Their stories will inspire you to believe that when we walk by faith, ANYTHING is possible.
COLLECTION OF CLASSES
Take a deep dive into complete and comprehensive teaching.
Learn with our collection of classes found by subscribing today PLUS receive so much more.
Our Women of Faith Collection of Classes are designed to help you and those you care about deepen your relationship with Jesus and make practical changes in your life. Sign up to watch the Women of Faith Collection of Classes at LIFTABLEtv and start moving toward the FREEDOM you crave.
Whatever you’re facing, your life matters, and God wants you to live in victory. Today is a great day to begin.
5 Openings into the Occult
is unfounded beliefs—based not on the Bible but on tradition—regarding items or practices assumed to have supernatural power.
- Bad luck—assigning supernatural power to and avoiding: black cats, breaking a mirror, walking under ladders, number 13, evil eye
- Good luck—assigning supernatural power to and trusting in: rabbits’ feet, four-leaf clovers, horseshoes, knocking on wood, crystals, amulets, talismans, religious items
is an attempt to “divine” or foretell the future through: astrology, cartomancy, numerology, palmistry, psychic games (Ouija Board, Magic Eight Ball), rod and pendulum, scrying, sortilege, tasseography, water witching/ dowsing.
is an attempt to communicate with the unseen world through: channeling, familiar spirits, Halloween, materialization, necromancy, psychometry, reincarnation, seances, sexual spirits, shamanism, spirit writing, spirit guides/spirit imaginary friend.
and sorcery are attempts to control the natural world by invoking supernatural power from the spirit world through various practices, such as witchcraft, Modern Magic, and Satanism.
5. Supernatural phenomena...
is the appearance or manifestation of something beyond the natural realm. Methods used in an attempt to give a scientific basis for occult phenomena may include: apports, clairaudience, clairvoyance, extrasensory perception (ESP), Kirlian effect, levitation, mental telepathy, parapsychology, precognition, psychic surgery, psychometry, telekinesis.
“Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you.”
3 Levels of Involvement
Curiously seeking and experimenting, usually teenagers (1 Thessalonians 5:21–22)
- Listening to music with occult lyrics
- Looking to horoscopes and astrological signs for guidance
- Playing psychic games: Ouija Boards, Dungeons and Dragons, automatic writing
- Visiting fortune-tellers
- Wearing jewelry with magical powers: amulets, fetishes
- Reading occult literature
- Making the decision to adopt an occult worldview (Jeremiah 10:2) Relying on astrologers, mediums, or spiritualists for information
- Joining organized occult groups, such as a coven
- Making major life decisions based on occult practices
Consciously becoming more deeply involved in black magic and the forces of evil (Deuteronomy 18:10–13)
- Actively joining occult organizations, such as Ordo Templi Orientis (OTO) or the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn or other organizations of like-mindedness
- Practicing black magic
- Participating in spiritualism and seeking a personal spirit guide
- Participating in ritualistic sacrifices
“If your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them... you will certainly be destroyed.”
Signs of Occult Involvement
- Occult material
- Black clothing, Gothic attire
- Sexual perversion
- Exclusivity, extreme secrecy
- Stimulants, drugs
- Satanic fascination
- Evil, violence, and suicide
- Disdain for biblical truth and authority
Signs of Occult Immersion
- Persistent headaches
- Obscene, profane language
- Sleeplessness or extreme sleepiness
- Suicidal threats or attempts
- Extreme fears
- Satanic indulgence
- Sudden personality changes
- Extraordinary abilities
- Deeds of violence and desecration
“When he [Jesus] arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way.”
The Relationship between the Occult and Evil
- Occult phenomena are real, but the source is not God.
- Occult power is evil.
- Occult involvement is progressive.
- Occult participation brings a person under Satan’s control.
- Occult practices run counter to biblical commands.
- Occult involvement breeds rebellion against God.
- Occult practices and involvement in them are detestable to God.
“The Pharisees said, ‘It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons.’”
Repelling the Deeds of Darkness
- Renounce any involvement with the occult. (Acts 19:18)
- Remove all objects related to the occult. (Acts 19:19)
- Recognize your enemy as Satan. (1 Peter 5:8)
- Rely on your authority over evil. (1 John 4:4)
- Refuse fascination with the occult. (Deuteronomy 18:10-14)
- Reside in close fellowship with believers. (2 Corinthians 6:14)
- Realize the truth of Scripture. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Read Scripture for wisdom and knowledge. (Proverbs 2:1–6)
- Reap the benefit of earnest prayer. (James 5:16)
- Remain clothed in the armor of God. (Ephesians 6:10–18)
“We have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.”
(2 Corinthians 4:2)
Key Verse to Learn
“Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.”
Key Passage to Read
1 John 4:1–6, 9–10
LIVE IN VICTORY!
100+ BIBLICALLY BASED RESOURCE TOPICS
READY TO GO DEEPER?
Be coached and equipped to boost your spiritual strength, experience real relationships, and be the life leader you are.
Want to learn more about our other 100+ topics? Check out the Women of Faith Resources, to discover biblical hope and practical help on these topics. The Women of Faith Resources are designed to help you – and help you help others – overcome difficulties, grow in maturity, and move forward in life.
God desires to give you hope as you face life challenges, problems and difficult trials. The good news for us, God specializes in redemption and transformation. He takes that which was lost and restores it. He takes that which was dead and gives it life. He takes that which had no hope and rewrites its story. This is our God! As you pray today, ask God boldly to transform the thing inside you that you want to see changed forever!
Thank you for your interest and support in Women of Faith. We pray God will encourage, equip, and empower you with His life-changing truth.