RECLAIMING THE REBEL
What Is Rebellion?
- Rebellion is open opposition to authority or tradition.
- Usually the word rebellion implies disobedience when there should be obedience.
- The Old French word for rebel is rebelle, which means “to wage war again.”
Who Are Considered Rebellious?
- Anyone who is violating the revealed will of God is rebellious. “Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.” Romans 13:2
- Rebellion can reside in the heart of anyone at any age. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
Is Everyone Rebellious?
- Yes. We were all born with a sin nature.
“Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.” Psalm 51:5
- Yes. We have all willfully sinned.
“We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” Isaiah 53:6
What Is Obedience?
- Obedience means being submissive to authority.
- The Latin word for obedience is oboedire, which means “to listen.”
Practical Tools and Resources to Go Deeper!
SPIRITUAL STRENGTH | LIFE LEADERSHIP | REAL RELATIONSHIPS
NOT SURE ON HOW TO START?
LEARN: WHAT IS THE REBELLION CYCLE?
Get your free Key to Hope on REBELLION. The download will be sent to your email.
WOMEN OF FAITH SHOW with ALITA REYNOLDS
Inspiring conversations that will encourage you to live the life you were created for.
Do you want to experience a deeper relationship with Jesus?
Do you need some encouragement that your story has a purpose?
Join Alita Reynolds, the President of Women of Faith, as she and her featured guests inspire you to live the life you were created for and equip you to walk more fully in God’s purpose for your life.
Whatever your story, your life matters, you belong, and God wants you to live victoriously. You’ll meet a wide range of guests who impact the kingdom in meaningful ways every day. Their stories will inspire you to believe that when we walk by faith, ANYTHING is possible.
COLLECTION OF CLASSES
Take a deep dive into complete and comprehensive teaching.
Learn with our collection of classes found by subscribing today PLUS receive so much more.
Our Women of Faith Collection of Classes are designed to help you and those you care about deepen your relationship with Jesus and make practical changes in your life. Sign up to watch the Women of Faith Collection of Classes at LIFTABLEtv and start moving toward the FREEDOM you crave.
Whatever you’re facing, your life matters, and God wants you to live in victory. Today is a great day to begin.
What Is the Biblical Picture of Rebellion?
This is seen in the Bible regarding a son (Amon) who succeeds his evil father as king.
“He walked in all the ways of his father.”
(2 Kings 21:21)
Rebellion Calls for a Balance of Law and Love
- Israel’s Rebellion:
- Sin Nature
- God’s Response:
- Unfailing Love
- In Bondage
- In Love
- Slaves to sin.God provides deliverance.
- Slaves to sin.
- God provides deliverance.
- In Rebellion
- In Love
- Forgets God’s faithfulness; complains; develops bitterness.
- God fulfills needs and extends grace.
- In Love
- Failure to develop inner discipline; did not mature; did not respond to God.
- God establishes the Law.
- Israel’s Rebellion: Sin Nature
- God’s Response: Unfailing Love
- The Law is necessary for rebellion.
- Revealing God’s expectations
“We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious.”
(1 Timothy 1:9)
- The Law is made to reveal rebellion.
- Obedience is necessary for holiness.
- Revealing God’s purpose.
“Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.”
- Obedience to God brings us to holiness.
- Discipline is necessary for maturity.
- Revealing God’s character.
“The Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.”
- Confirmation of His unfailing love.
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
Who Are Considered Rebellious?
- Anyone who is violating the revealed will of God is rebellious. “Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.” (Romans 13:2)
- Rebellion can reside in the heart of anyone at any age. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
Is Everyone Rebellious?
- Yes. We were all born with a sin nature. “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.” (Psalm 51:5)
- Yes. We have all willfully sinned. “We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6)
Characteristics of a Rebel
- Resentful of authority
Korah son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and certain Reubenites—Dathan and Abiram, sons of Eliab, and On son of Peleth—became insolent and rose up against Moses. With them were 250 Israelite men, well-known community leaders who had been appointed members of the council. They came as a group to oppose Moses and Aaron and said to them, ‘You have gone too far!’ When Moses heard this, he fell facedown.”(Numbers 16:1–4)
The Rebellion Cycle
- Conceited “I want what I want because I’m important.”
- independent living (“I” oriented)
- pleasure seeking (temporal values)
- Calculating “I’ll do whatever it takes to get it.”
- deceptive (lying, cheating, stealing)
- manipulative (using guilt tactics)
- Condemning “You don’t really care about me!”
- complaining (“You’re too hard on me.”)
- blame shifting (“It’s all your fault.”)
- Calloused “I don’t care who it hurts.”
- apathetic (toward loved ones)
- resistant (toward God)
- Contemptuous “I hate those who get in my way.”disrespectful (irreverent, disobedient, foul-mouthed, messy)rule breaking (extremes in sex, drugs, money, hostility) disrespectful (irreverent, disobedient, foul-mouthed, messy) rule breaking (extremes in sex, drugs, money, hostility)
- Controlling “I won’t give up what I have.”ossessive (uses power plays because of emotional insecurity)abusive (verbally, emotionally, physically) ossessive (uses power plays because of emotional insecurity) abusive (verbally, emotionally, physically)
"These are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the Lord’s instruction.”
“Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.”
The Cycle of REBELLION
“Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”
What will break the cycle of Rebellion?
”Brokenness before God … breaking the willful attitude … praying, “Lord, I want to quit living out of my own resources. I’m letting You have rightful rule over my heart and life.”“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but … worldly sorrow brings death.”
(2 Corinthians 7:10)
Key Verses to Learn
Help for one in rebellion
“Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O Lord.”
Hope for one hurt by rebellion
“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.”
Key Passage to Read and Reread
LIVE IN VICTORY!
100+ BIBLICALLY BASED RESOURCE TOPICS
READY TO GO DEEPER?
Be coached and equipped to boost your spiritual strength, experience real relationships, and be the life leader you are.
Want to learn more about our other 100+ topics? Check out the Women of Faith Resources, to discover biblical hope and practical help on these topics. The Women of Faith Resources are designed to help you – and help you help others – overcome difficulties, grow in maturity, and move forward in life.
God desires to give you hope as you face life challenges, problems and difficult trials. The good news for us, God specializes in redemption and transformation. He takes that which was lost and restores it. He takes that which was dead and gives it life. He takes that which had no hope and rewrites its story. This is our God! As you pray today, ask God boldly to transform the thing inside you that you want to see changed forever!
Thank you for your interest and support in Women of Faith. We pray God will encourage, equip, and empower you with His life-changing truth.