What Is the Holy Spirit’s Role?
What Is the Holy Spirit’s Role in the Believer’s Life Today?
If you are a Christian, the Holy Spirit abides within your human spirit to bring about God’s purposes in your life. Envision the battery of a flashlight and the power and light it produces. How much more the power, light, and direction that come from God through His Holy Spirit!
- He convinces us that we are sinners. the act of convicting
“When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment.” John 16:8
- He converts us from sinners to saints. the act of regenerating
“He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” Titus 3:5)
- He cleanses us and places (baptizes) us into the body of Christ. the act of baptizing
“We were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” 1 Corinthians 12:13
- He comes to live within us. the act of indwelling
“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” 1 Corinthians 6:19
- He counsels us in the way we should go. the act of teaching
The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26
- He causes us to obey God’s will. the act of empowering
“I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.” Ezekiel 36:27
- He controls our behavior. The act of filling.
“The disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.” Acts 13:52
- He communicates our unspoken prayers. the act of interceding
“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” Romans 8:26
- He confirms our destiny in heaven. the act of sealing “[He] set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” 2 Corinthians 1:22